The Dinner Party Part One

Mulai dari awal

"You cannot keep her from me."

"I know." Phanessa said in understanding, and shrugged her shoulders as she looked at him imploringly. "But as of this moment, she is a child. She will remain my child for a while more."

It was then, that he took in the dark circles around her eyes. Realization struck him. "You're dying."

"For many years now." She laughed, and his eyes narrowed. "Your kind are immortal. Why now?"

"Boy, I have lived for too many lifetimes, seen civilizations rise and fall. I have lost lovers, as I have lost children. No parent should ever have to outlive their child."

"She is like you. She will be immortal, you are condemning her to a life alone."

"But, she won't be alone. She will have you." Phanessa stated, with a soft look in her eyes. "The reason I am fading is because of a decision I made. I donated too much of my spirit to save the life of another child, and this is my price."

"Andromeda will be devastated."

"I know. But I still have a few years left in me, so in the meantime, those are mine for us to share. Let her remain as my child for a while more, untouched by the chaos of you and your family. You will find her, one day."

Elijah gazed at this woman, the exhaustion and love permeating from her eyes, and nodded his head in acquiescence. "You have my word. I will be there for her, when the time comes."

Phanessa smiled, lighting up her face, and Elijah recognized it as the smile of both Tyra and Andromeda.

"Thank you, Elijah."

*******************

Elijah brushed a stray curl away from Andy's face, smiling, as her nose scrunched in sleep before she tightened her hold on him and burrowed into his chest. Yes, he would be there for, as was his promise. She was his stars, his light, the only person who could truly make him smile anymore apart from Regulus, whom he was beginning to think of as a son. Someone for him to take care of, to shield and protect, as well as teach life lessons.

This was his family. And not even the ever encroaching appearance, of his brother would change that.

Elijah heard the stirring of Regulus down the hall, and slowly disentangled himself from Andromeda's hold to greet him. At the absence of him she visibly frowned before curling on her other side away from him with a grumble, her head buried in her pillow, and Elijah couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped him.

He stepped away, silently closing the door behind him, before venturing towards Regulus's room and opening the door to see the five year old just sitting up with a yawn. At seeing the Original, Reggie immediately raised his arms, Elijah crossing the room to lift him up with Reggie burrowing his head in his shoulder and hugging him.

"Good morning, young Regulus."

"G'morning, 'Lijah." Regulus mumbled into his neck, and Elijah chuckled before carrying him out of the room towards the bathroom. After making sure he pottied and brushed his teeth, Elijah carried the slightly more awake toddler to the kitchen and set him down onto the kitchen island.

He could already imagine Andromeda having a fit from him carrying Reggie so much, but he wasn't worried. As far as he was concerned, Regulus deserved a stable father figure in his life, and Elijah would make that his mission as well as proving his loyalties to Andy.

"Are you going to cook, 'Lijah?" Reggie questioned, after Elijah handed him his Star Wars sippy cup filled with apple juice.

"What would you like to eat?"