Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

Ate Lavie was couldn't avert her eyes from my brother. Nagtatanong ang mga mata at kita pa rin ang kaba sa kanyang mukha. Kuya Xavi slowly knelt in front of her.

Napakagat ako sa labi nang dumukot si Kuya X sa kanyang bulsa at inilabas ang maliit na kahon na naglalaman ng singsing. His face was serious now and I can tell that he's also a little nervous.

Ate Lavie's eyes widened at the sight of the diamond ring inside the box. Her hands covered her lips. She looled at the object with teary eyes before looking back at my brother.

Kuya X anxiously licked his lips before taking a deep breath. "Marry me, please?"

That's it. Simple yet it was already too much. Everyone gasped but they didn't care though.

Hindi nagtagal ang pagtango at pag-iyak ni Ate Lavie. "Yes," she happily answered.

The look on Kuya Xavi's face was priceless. Pati siya ay naluha rin sa naging sagot ni Ate Lavie. Isinuot niya ang singsing sa daliri ni Ate. Ate Lavie hugged him and then held both of his cheeks to kiss him — not caring if everyone's watching them.

They deserve this. After all they've been through, they deserve to be happy. Ate Laurene squealed as she approached the newly engaged couple, with her husband, Kuya Silas, trailing closely behind her.

My heart swelled as I continued watching them. My hand flew to my chest. I tried to soothe it with my palm. It was being squeezed so tightly that it hurts.

My cheeks began to hurt from smiling, too. I'm happy for them. So intensely happy. My lips were trembling, my eyes were hazy, and there's an unfathomable sting in my chest but I didn't stop from smiling widely. Smile, Hyon.

An arm slung over my shoulders, making me jump. My head quickly snapped to see who it was.

"Kuya," I exclaimed after seeing Kuya Hadeon.

With his usual devious smirk, he winked and pulled me with him without a word. He made us join the exchange of hugs. Naunang nakalapit si Kuya Zeno. Our families joined to congratulate us. May mga close friends na bumati. My smile was a fixture on my lips the whole time.

A tap on my shoulder made me turn. I saw Trix and Phil who were both grinning widely. Ate L allowed me to bring my closest friends to her wedding reception, so I invited them. Kasama ko sila kanina pero humiwalay rin para laruin si Dionne.

"Babe, alis na kami." Phil pulled me for a hug and kissed me on the cheek.

Sunod akong hinila ni Trix at napasunod naman ako. "She's in a hurry to leave 'cos our officemates are at the club."

Umirap si Phil bago muling excited na ngumiti sa akin. "Come with us! You're dressed for it!" She pointed at what I'm wearing.

It's a silky navy blue dress that inches upto my knees. It was slightly fitted and its column cowl neck made it look glamorous. The spaghetti straps were thin and it crosses on my lower back. I completed the look with gold necklace and nude strappy heels.

Until now, clubs aren't my scene. It will only take one hand to count the number of time I've been in bars. I only give in when it's for a birthday celebration.

I made a face. I'm ready to say no but Kuya Hadeon suddenly joined our conversation. "Sumama ka na, Hyon."

"Oo nga. Sumama ka na!" gatong ni Phil.