Sad Little Woodpecker

Start from the beginning

I can feel the blood dripping from my finger tips...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toshiko's p.o.v.

After seeing Kaneki at the college, I finished my delivery there and went back to the shop to get a quick lunch before my next delivery.

The rest of the day went smoothly for me, nothing out of the ordinary. Mr. Kasuneki got his new geography textbooks for his children- Ami and Eri, who are both home schooled by him. I delivered the recipe books to Mrs. Anamori and her fiancé Renas' bakery. Overall it was a very nice day.

I sighed, sinking into my chair after such a satisfying day. Albeit, odd- what with the whole Kaneki confrontation. I honestly couldn't understand why I said what I did, opening up like that. Maybe I just envied yet pitied him at the same time?

The phone rang, breaking me from my internal reflection session. Picking it up I wrapped the chord around my pointer finger. See I had a rotary phone put into the shop, sort of as a joke, it being an old style book store and what not; but as luck would have it the darned thing grew on me and Mirai as well as the few customers that we get so I kept the old thing. A little light in our shop of books.

"Hello?" I drawled. Usually I wouldn't even pick up the phone this time of the evening, but you never know when you'll get a last minute customer.

My sisters voice droned from the other end of the line. "Yo! Just wanted to give you a heads up that I won't be home tonight cause me and Emi got a project assigned; so being the goody two shoes that she is, she decided it'd be best to work on it tonight."

I laughed, "So she dragged you to her place I'm taking it?"

"More like unlawful kidnap," She scoffed. A moment passed before she responded in a grim tone, "you gonna be okay on your own tonight?"

My fingers tensed. Then relaxed, "Yeah course. Have fun kiddo, and try NOT to murder your only school friend."

"Pfft,- who's friends? Never heard of her." And with that the line was cut and I was left in silence.

A small tear slide down my left cheek. The silence suddenly seeming deafening. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of scotch from behind the flour.

~But your tears ring clearly through the wood~

I wasn't sad. Not even close. But my sister is like a safety blanket. She was the only light for the duration of my sentence in DeadLand- I guess I've just never moved on from it all.

~Even as they taint the dew~

It's almost sad really. Not having all of my friends. I made so many deep bonds through those times. I guess that's the one thing that I can actually thank that damned place for.

I grabbed myself a glass, holding it as I reflected on the past.

~Such a sad, sad, little birdie~

I would've hoped that we would've all stayed in contact with one another. That we could've helped each other fight off the lingering darkness.

My grip tightened and the glass shattered, cutting deep into the palm of my right hand. I looked down at my wound.

~Maybe one day this song will lift the curse~

You would think... but it would seem we are ever cursed to bath in darkness and fester in blood.