Chapter 17

"So what did you want to talk about Mizuchi?" Kyuubi asked. He had told Onibi to go play for a bit so he and Mizuchi could talk alone.

"Isn't it a bit concerning how often Onibi and Kamaitachi sneak into the mortal realm? I know you don't really care as long as he doesn't come back hurt or cause any trouble for you but.."

"You want me to make sure he's not causing to much trouble" the kitsune said, sighing. "Fine. The next time they go on their daily visit to the humans I'll tag along"

"You're his caretaker after all, you should keep an eye on him"

To that, Kyuubi said nothing. After Onibi had reached his current age he stopped really taking care of him since he was independent now. He didn't mind taking care of him every so often though. It showed his young flame still depended on him. In return, Onibi cared for him as well. 

After a bit more of discussing how he'd make sure the two weren't causing trouble and making sure they stayed safe, Mizuchi took his leave. Most likely to go back to the spirit realm. Of course he also didn't doubt he'd return soon just to see Hanabusa. It was almost funny how a human was the reason Mizuchi would come by more often. 

"I'm curious to how humans will react to my normal form. It's not everyday you see a nine-tailed kitsune. They're probably used to seeing a disembodied flame and a weasel. Though I also wonder if Onibi truly is popular with the humans" Kyuubi mumbled to himself.

He wasn't going to lie, he was curious for a while about the two's adventures into the realm of humans. They always seemed to have fun doing so. Even hearing about how they continued going even though there was traps set now made him more curious. What would it be like taking that risk, sneaking by the Katanashu just to visit some humans.

Well, there was only one way to find out.

. . .

"You want to sneak into the human realm with us?!" Kamaitachi exclaimed.

Both of the young yokai were surprised to hear Kyuubi's request to join them on one of their adventures. It wasn't like they could turn him down. Actually, they didn't have the guts to dare deny his request. So they reluctantly agreed to let him come along with him.

"What made you want to join us anyways?" Onibi asked curiously.

"I've been curious about what it'd be like to visit the human realm after so long for a while now. So I decided to join you this time" he replied, not bothering to bring up Mizuchi had also asked him to keep an eye on them.

Mizuchi must of had a reason to ask him to do something like that though. There was always ask reason. But he didn't mention what the reason was. So he just had to figure out why on his own, which was frustrating.

As the three made their way to the station, Kyuubi listened as the two talked about their previous trips to the human realm. As well as how Aoi kept trying to stop them, what Kamaitachi and Madoka has been up to, etc. Honestly, he didn't care to much to listen completely.

Like everyday there was a trap set up and Aoi trying to stop them but to no avail. Not that he'd have a chance with the kitsune with them that time. Kamaitachi was happy though because they passed Madoka who helped distract Aoi for them to sneak by after they triggered the trap.

"That's why I love Madoka, he helps us out!" Kamaitachi said with a faint but noticeable blush.

"Is that why you kissed him quickly before running after us" Onibi laughed quietly.

"Shut up!" 

Ah how it must be to still be youthful. Though if you asked Karasutengu or Mizuchi they'd still claim Kyuubi was in his youth still. Probably because he was younger than them. Also maybe if you looked at him and Onibi they looked around the same age.

For human age at least. Actual age of course there was a huge age difference. Give or take a few hundred years. It's just that he had that youthful look.

"Fufufu, I can see why you enjoy sneaking by. You can feel the adrenaline flowing"

"I know right?!" Onibi exclaimed, clinging to the kitsune's arm. 

He smiled to his young flame, it made him happy to see him in a good mood. If he was ever upset or angry he'd be there to calm him down. It also made him worried since it was rare to ever see Onibi in a foul mood. Sometimes it was about little things, the chances it was serious was just as rare.

"What do you think the humans will say when they see Kyuubi?"

"Surprised? I don't know. Hey maybe you'll be as popular as me with humans!"

"Fufu, maybe. But I don't particularly care for being popular with them"

"Hey can't you maintain your human form Kyuubi-no-kitsune?" Kamaitachi asked.

"Yes, but I don't plan on doing so"

It was true that he could due to kitsune's being able to shape-shift. But he didn't feel like staying in his human form, he wanted to see how people would react to his real form. 

Eventually they reached the area the humans all inhabited. Unlike in the past where their settlements were small, they had expanded their territory. A lot. Since they didn't know the layout of the area they could probably end up getting lost. So Kyuubi made sure they stayed close to the way they came from.

Though Kamaitachi and Onibi kept ensuring him that they'd be fine. He knew he should trust them, they have done this plenty of times. Why did he feel so worried? 

That's when he remembered that time when Onibi was much younger and snuck to where the humans lived. How scared he was back then when a human had grabbed him. He hoped an event like that would never happen again. Perhaps that's why he felt uneasy.

It's strange though, he never felt this way until he actually went with them that day.