He glanced around. He always left class later than the others because it was a good bet that most of his fellow students would have stampeded for the doors without waiting around to plot an ambush for him. But even so, he warily approached his locker, checked both way for booby traps and finally flicked the door open carefully.

To his surprise, a folded piece of paper fell out and he blinked in shock. He peered carefully in and found nothing else out of place, no cascade of worms of bugs or any other nasty trick so he picked the paper up and opened it with trembling hand.

Hi.

I have been watching you and I like what I'm seeing. You're cute with those dreamy eyes and that kind of really cute smile. Also, I like you're a smart guy and I really want to get to know you better.

Meet me by the bleachers at four

Astrid Hofferson

He looked around, almost panicking. It was gone three and he had never even shared a word with Astrid, who was a Senior and the most beautiful and fierce student in the whole School. He wondered if she had slipped the note into he wrong locker and checked but HICCUP was scrawled on the back of the piece of paper in block capitols.

It was clearly a trick. Every sense told him this was a trick. A cruel joke. A fake letter that was designed to make him look like a muttonhead, a desperate loser...but the truth was that he didn't have any sort of a social life and certainly had never had a girlfriend. The implication that any girl would be interested in him...like that...was so insane he almost crumpled the paper up. Almost. But there was that 0.01% of him that hoped maybe something good could happen to him-especially since it was Astrid we were talking about. Astrid Hofferson, the blonde, blue-eyed Valkyrie of the Senior Year. Astrid who was beautiful and fierce. The Cheerleader. The kickboxer. The girl Hiccup had crushed on for almost two years despite her almost certainly not knowing he existed. And he had tried, had always smiled, helped where he could, done everything asked of him-no matter how insignificant or menial-and spoken to her a sum total of seven sentences in his two and a small bit years at Berk High (as long as 'Um' counted as a sentence). So despite all of his qualms and huge misgivings, he gathered his things, slung his bag over his shoulder and headed for the field.

The September sun was still warm and he sat quietly on the Bleachers overlooking the football field and took a deep breath in. The Football team were holding practice on the field, running drills and he found himself watching his cousin, who was shaping up to be a fine Quarterback. His cousin was stocky and not especially tall, a powerhouse with surprising speed and unwavering self confidence. Of course, if Snot was here, then his other bullies were as well, all of them tall and buff. He sighed and fished a bottle fo water from his bag, sipping the cool liquid and dancing round. And then he saw her.

Lithe, balanced and competitive, Astrid was leading the cheer squad as they practiced at the other side of the field. Most of their practice was indoors but this afternoon-for some reason-they were outside, rehearsing the routine they would use on Friday when Berk High met their visceral enemies, Meathead Academy. Her blonde hair was functionally braided into one fat plait that was slung casually over her left shoulder and her bright blue eyes were fired with determination as she drove herself to bounce and kick and yell in perfect unison with her team. Unconsciously, he found his lips turning up in a smile. She was amazing, resetting with the Coach and beginning again, ensuring her team was perfect.

When practice ended, he sat and watched them all head for the changing rooms, not sparing a glance at the bleachers and he wondered if she was ashamed of him, if she didn't want her friends to know. Snot saw him and offered a nod and Dogsbreath pointed him out to the others, causing a frisson of fear to surge through his shape. He wondered if they would choose to wait for him and make life more unpleasant...but as time passed and no one emerged, he began to realise no one was coming. But he only gave up just short of five, when his heart told him that it had been a trick and his own innate loneliness and desperation had made him vulnerable. And slowly, as he limped down the steps, he had been forced to acknowledge the truth.