Better at Love

Harry scoffed at the calendar. "Would you look at that," he mused, "Valentine's Day is coming up."

Draco swore under his breath, "Is it that time already?"

"You mean to say you forgot?" Harry smirked, "Seems like I'm the better boyfriend yet again, I've already got something planned."

If it could be possible, Draco turned a shade even paler than usual, "How dare you, I am an excellent boyfriend," he declared. "Obviously I have something in mind and I bet it's better than whatever you're planning."

"Oh come on, you have to admit my dinner idea was amazing last year."

"Maybe but what about the year before that? I endured a whole night of muggle entertainment for you."

"I don't even remember the one before that."

"That's because you planned it, I'm sure," Draco paused, "But also we have been dating for a while now haven't we."

Harry chuckled and held out his hand, "Alright then, let's make this official. A friendly competition. Loser has to pay for dinner every day for the rest of the year."

There was a beat as Draco stared at the outstretched hand, unsure of whether or not he should commit to this stupid bargain. Then he remembered that he was Draco effing Malfoy and Malfoys never lose. So he shook.

"Deal, but we need an impartial judge. Not Granger and definitely not Weasly, they're too biased."

Harry thought about it for a moment, "How about Luna? She wasn't in either of our houses and has always been nice about me dating a Slytherin."

Draco frowned, "Don't say it like it's a bad thing, I'm doing you a favour, dating a Gryffindor. But fine, Luna will do."

The very next day, Luna Lovegood received a letter early in the morning, explaining the boys' plan. Her, being Luna, accepted. And so the game was on.

It wasn't long before their friends found out about the situation. Some were against it, such as Neville who found it wrong to turn Valentine's day into a competition, or Hermione who had hoped they'd grow out of this silly rivalry once they started dating. Others were eager to get in on the action and bets were placed almost immediately.

Soon, it was Valentine's day. Draco had set up a spell to wake himself up early in the morning, but it seemed Harry was already one step in front of him. He frowned in frustration upon smelling a delicious smell, wafting in from the kitchen.

Quickly as he could, he got dressed to go investigate, while also preparing to set his own plans in motion. "I didn't know you could cook, Potter." He said, entering the kitchen and sitting down at the table. One of the rules Luna had come up was that they had to humour each other so that nothing went to waste.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Of course I can cook, did you expect the Dursleys to do that themselves?" He turned and levitated a plate over to Draco. "Happy Valentine's day."

Draco tried very hard to frown at the breakfast before him but it was so unexpected that he couldn't help but laugh. "How sweet of you, but you know this doesn't count, right? The bet doesn't start until we meet up with the others."

"Oh I know," Harry said with a shrug, "But what's stopping me from just telling Luna later? Point to me."

Draco scoffed and continued to eat his breakfast. He had to admit, somewhat begrudgingly, that it did taste quite good.

Once they'd finished, Harry got up and cleared his throat, "Oh and another thing. This is to be a triple date. Hermione and Ron, Luna and Neville, and of course, you and me. Let's go, shall we?"