Chapter 1: Check the cellar? Please?

I, Holly Newman, live in a small cottage with my little sister Madison. We live with our grandmother since our father died back in 1909 and now it's 1914. I'm 12 and Maddie is 7. Since she is only 7 she still believes there are lions under her bed and monsters in the cellar that drink up all the milk and that's why we never have enough. Every night I tell her a bedtime story. I sit on the bed and brush her hair until smooth every night and every morning. When I tell her a bed time story its part of the series of story's from Princess Lilacs Adventures. We never had enough money to buy another bed so I sleep on a cold dirt floor with a quilt, a small pillow and a sheet to cover the ground. Although I never sleep practically.

Ever since my grandmother got sick she won't stop getting sick. I take the duties of a mom. I sweep the floors, go to the grocer, help Maddie with her arithmetic, and wash dishes. All this yet at my rare times going to school I enjoy every last second. Everyday though, after housework, I go to see my best friend Aiden who always brings change for Mr. Johnson's ice cream stand and buys the 2 cent twin pop. He always gives me the bigger half ( if there is one)while we walk down the old boardwalk. We stare at the shiny new red bike on the Toy shop and the beautiful gum drop displays at the candy shop. We always buy and eighth pound bag of candy at the candy shop and split it down by the soup kitchen. He always tells me "One day...I'm gonna have enough money to go inside the ol' Tinker shop and buy me that shiny red bike and you the pink lily' scooter with the bell." and I tell him "Your always closer, bud."Then we go to the old clothing shop and I show him the pleated collars I do every morning for Maddie and show him how to pleat the collars although he always forgets.

If Aiden is working in the factory I am to. I have housework and work at the old shoe factory. They hire me to sow laces while Aiden threads them in the shoes. We work right next to each other. He has messy old brown hair. He always wears brown or black suspenders with a cream shirt and long brown pants. He reminds me of Maddie like this. Brown curly hair and always wearing a brown dress and old clunker of shoes. I am different. I have shoulder length blonde wavy hair and I always wear a blue pleated dress with black formal shoes. Walking into the factory every Tuesday and Saturday. We watch the older men and women work and at breaks we observe them. Smoking cigars, talking with mouths open, and slamming forks on the table. "Let us never grow up...it only leads to childishness." we say.

When I do get home around 7:00 pm I feed Maddie and ask grandma if she wants to eat."Only a little bowl of potatoes will be fine." she always answers. Then I ask her "Would you like me to take you to the clinic?" I say. She always says no.

After Maddie comes home from school I am either at the factory, with Aiden, grabbing my book bag to bring something to Aiden, or at home with a list of chores. Maddie always comes in, grabs the baked chocolate chip cookie with milk from a plate I have for her, does her homework, and gets on the typewriter. She writes stories which I proofread and give to the grocer who hangs them up and gives us a voucher because people come into his store to read them then shop. I get excited and head right off to get more food. Aiden comes with me and we split the groceries evenly into bags. "1/2 a cup of potato flakes for you and a 1/2 for me. 1 gallon of milk for you...one gallon of milk for me." I say. "Thank you... I will pay you back soon." he says " Everyday we split twin pops and candy with your money, Aiden, and when you save me enough for the scooter...it won't even matter...I'll owe you Aiden!" I tell him.

Aiden lives all alone with no family in a tent in an alley. "Aiden...I promise...as soon as my grandma goes to a clinic I'll let you move into her room." I say. "Thank you... My ol' tent will blow away north in a skinny minute if I don't tape it down and I'm running outta tape. Also Mr. Nickson is getting tired if my snoring habits. One more day, and he'll tape my mouth closed." he says. His smile is shy and easy with his cheeks blushing while I do all the same.

"Check the cellar? Please?" Maddie always asks me.

"Ok, child, just remember if I never ever comeback that I love you." I always say

"I love you to." she always answers.

I know that monsters don't exist but Maddie believes anything.

Anything

Even that the ol' circus I haunted by the old clowns.

Even that Aiden is a dead man.

Anything.

I'm not well at grammar. So please excuse if wrong. I try my best. I think I'm doing good.

I guess that's it for now.....