Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Mabel felt a smile lift onto her face, "You look beautiful already, Anne." Mabel complimented, unable to stop her mind from wandering to kissing her.

Anne swallowed thickly, grinning at her. "Well, do I pass for someone old enough to not need a chaperone?"

Cole walked over to her, picking up the braids she had tied her hair into. "Not with these braids, you don't. Jo, you must work your magic."

"I am setting my overpowering nostalgia aside." Aunt Jo pushed herself up, walking over to Anne with the help of her cane. "To continue to aid and abet this folly."

"I'm sorry, Aunt Jo, but one day or another, my maturation was inevitable."

"Hm.. Well, I can still wish that youth wasn't always in such a hurry. Brush please." Aunt Jo continued, taking the brush from Anne's hands.

"Although, I can't imagine why I was in such a rush to wear a corset." Anne shifted uncomfortably, causing Mabel to grimace at the thought of having to wear one. "How do you stand it?"

"At my age, it's the only thing keeping me upright." Aunt Jo said, leaning closer to Anne with a laugh.

Mabel let out a giggle, walking over with Cole, pushing the oversized hat up her head and out of her eyes.

"Either of these would do, which do you prefer?" Cole held up to hat options to Anne.

"Um.." Anne hummed, examining each of them carefully. "This one!" She pointed at the hat Mabel wore on her head.

Mabel giggled, slipping it off. "Are you sure?"

Anne nodded, taking the hat from Mabel's hands, her heart skipping a beat when their fingers brushed. "I'm sure."

Mabel nodded to herself, watching as Anne gently placed the hat on her head once Aunt Jo had finished her hair.

"Okay," Anne stood, smoothing out her dress. "How do I look?"

Her eyes focused on Mabel, waiting for a reaction from the girl.

"Mesmerizing.." Mabel breathed out, a dreamy smile brightening her face. Cole and Aunt Jo shared a knowing look before Aunt Jo led her out of the room.

Mabel's eyes remained focused on where Anne previously stood, a glossy look in her eyes. Cole pursed his lips, trailing his eyes over her face. "You're in love with Anne."

"What? No, I'm not!" Mabel whipped her head towards him, frantically shaking her head no.

Cole rose his eyebrows, crossing his arms. "It's obvious to anyone who cares to look close enough."

Mabel's look of horror remained on her face, until she realized that Cole wasn't mad. "I'm more than in love with her.."

Cole nodded his head, "She loves you too, doesn't she?"

Mabel shook her head sadly, sitting down at the vanity and staring at herself in the mirror. "No, I don't think so."

~~

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pasture: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He resorteth my soul. He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me." The pastor spoke, his eyes reading over every word as he read from the Bible. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.

Mabel blinked away the tears as she watched relatives and friends place flowers on Mary's grave.

Mabel sniffed, turning to Anne and throwing her arms around her, tears beginning to flow freely down her face.  "It hurts, Anne."

"I know," Anne whispered hoarsly, rubbing her hand up and down Mabel's back, "I know."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ Word Count: 1176 }

{ A/n: chapter 30 is the final chapter,,, we're so close,,, I might cry.. }

{ Edited: No }