Jon

I sigh. Being a dad is going to be tough. Especially to a 14 year old I never knew about. My boyfriend, Marco, calls. I answer. "Hi Marco. What's up?" I ask.

"Nothing much. I was wondering if you're home. I wanna come visit you."

"Yeah. There's actually something we need to talk about." I say. "It's important."

"I'll be there in 15." We hang up and I knock on Avery's door.

"Leave me alone!" She shouts quietly. Probably for the sake of the dog.

"Avery, we need to talk. Now."

"Fine." She says and I walk in.

"You deserve to know...so I'm just gonna tell you. I'm gay." I say. "My boyfriend, Marco is coming over. I'm going to tell him about you."

"You're a fag?"

"You watch your mouth."

"And if I don't?"

"So help me god, I will ground you."

Avery stares at me, mouth agape. "You wouldn't."

"I would." I venture.

A knock on the door comes. I go and answer. Marco stands there. I smile softly. "Hey baby." He says.

"You're gonna wanna sit down with what I have to tell you."

"Okay." Marco says, sitting. "I'm sure it's not that big a deal."

"So, when I was 20, before I knew I was gay, I had a girlfriend. We had sex on her 19th birthday. I realized I'm gay and broke up with her. She never told me she had her. That she was pregnant with my kid. With my daughter. I wish I'd known 14 years ago that I had a kid. But I only just found out. Her mom is in prison for drug trafficking and also child endangerment. I just brought her home today. Right after finding out she's mine. Please don't freak out. Or leave me. I need you."

Marco kisses me. "I'm not leaving you, Jon." He says. "Why would I? How could I?" I shrug and he pulls me into a hug.

"I love you, Marco Aimes."

"And I love you, Jonathan Groff."

I smile. "AVERY! GET YOUR BUTT OUT HERE, THERE'S SOMEONE I WANT YOU TO MEET!" I call. She stomps out. "Watch your attitude young lady."

"Then don't yell at me like that." She counters.

"Do you want me to ground you?"

"No."

"Then watch your attitude." She sighs. "Now, Avery, this is my boyfriend, Marco."

"Hi." She says quietly.

"Hi Avery. My name's Marco. I love your outfit."

"Sure you do." Avery said.

"I genuinely do." Marco says. Avery nods.

"I've met him. Can I go now?"

"No. We're going to have lunch."

"Whatever." Avery slouches, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Holy piercings." Marco says. "Woah."

Avery glares. "Do you have a fucking problem dude?" She growls.

"What? No! I just, I've never seen someone with so many piercings."

"Oh, are you jealous?" She mocks.

"Avery Groff Manson," I warn, "behave."

"And if I don't?" She asks.

"One," I start counting.

"Oh fuck off!"

"Two," I continue.

"Fuck you."

"Three," I give her a warning look.

"SERIOUSLY, FUCK YOU!"

"THAT IS IT! GO TO YOUR ROOM!" I scream.

"GLADLY!" Avery screams right back at me.

I sit at the table and cry softly. I was hoping for a better father-daughter relationship than this one. I sigh and look at Marco. "I'm sorry about this."