Cheeseburger

Prologue

I stared into his velvety dark eyes, finding myself lost inside a kaleidoscope of so many shades of green and brown. My head lay numbly upon the heavenly warm pillow I knew I would soon have to part with. However, his smile didn't falter in the slightest, staying as happy and carefree as it could possibly be. He shook his dark shaggy mane, hair flying everywhere, as he moved his head on to my arm. And then.. he drooled on me.

"Rex! Get away from me, you stupid mutt!" I screeched, shoving the terrier off my bed, and then rolling over to follow him out. I winced as I wiped his slobber off my pajama t-shirt, and then glanced at the Winnie-the-Pooh alarm clock which had taken up residence on my far-from-tidy desk, then pulled an even worse face when I saw the time. 9:30.

9:30! I was supposed to be in work at 8!

My heart started pounding faster than Tigger on acid with the thought of being fired from work on my first day. Oh my god, it's my first day! I don't know why I'm that upset really. I mean, don't get me wrong, McDonalds isn't exactly the best place to start a career, but hey, it's a job. And the best one my parents could get me. That's the weird thing about my family. When my sister decided she wanted to become an actress, my parents helped her to earn a scholarship to a performing arts school. When I told them I wanted to become a chef (I like food, okay), they got me a job at McDonalds.

A whimper coming from near my feet had broken my trail of thought. Rex stared up at me guiltily, and then looked towards the end of my bed, and I turned my head towards a small yellow puddle.

"You've pissed on my bed!" I raged, kicking the dog out and slamming the door, instantly regretting it afterwards as I heard his yelp. Again looking back to the puddle drowning my pale pink (ew) bedsheets, I decided to clear it when I got home. Today was going to be a long day.

Rose McCloud. 17. McDonalds trainee, and so far not lovin' it.