Date Night

The whole week passed in a blur. Before you knew it, the end of the working week had arrived at your doorstep, making you anxious as hell. Your heart rate picked up, knowing that your husband could walk into your office at any minute. Or maybe, he wouldn't show up at all.

It was ridiculous that you weren't sure which outcome you wanted more.

The clock struck six and your anxiety soared through the roof. Taking a deep breath, you promised to give him an hour, nothing more and nothing less. Standing to walk over to the couch to make yourself more comfortable, you were halted in your tracks by the familiar knocking pattern on your office door.

"Come in," you instructed, cursing the slight waver in your voice.

The door opened, revealing Mark who was sporting an apprehensive look on his features along with a tight smile. Instantly, you became anxious about something else entirely. Did something happen?

"What's wrong?" you questioned, tone strong and firm. If others had been listening in, they might even say that you sounded almost concerned. Mark smiled a little, taking comfort from your words and the relief that washed over you was welcoming. That was until he spoke.

"Nothing really," he sighed. "You just seemed surprised to see me. Almost like you weren't expecting me to show up at all."

Unbelievable. Mark recognised the tremble in your voice when you had asked him to come in. Of course he would. How could you forget that he could always read you like a book no matter how hard you tried to mask your feelings?

"It's my fault really," he stated, not waiting for you to reply. "I've let you down more than enough times, so I deserve it."

"I—"

"You don't have to force yourself," Mark smiled sadly. "We don't have to go out tonight. I can just take us home."

Determined, you stood your ground. You had waited so long for this night to come and you would be damned if you were going to let anyone ruin it, including yourself. You would do anything in your power to turn this night around.

Reaching Mark in three long strides, you wrapped your arms around him and brought him as close to you as possible. Feeling him hesitate, you embraced him even tighter until he finally embraced you back. "Don't do this," you told him. "Don't shoulder the burden on your own. You're not the only one at fault, we both know this."

"But—"

"No buts," you pulled back and cupped his face, making him look at you. "The truth is that I've really been looking forward to tonight. So, please don't let me ruin it. I don't want to go home. I want to go on this date with you."

"Are you sure?" Mark asked, seeking your confirmation one last time.

Instead of answering him, you stepped away from his grasp — much to the dismay of both of you — and grabbed your purse that was still on your desk. With a smile, you grabbed his hand and dragged him out of your office, not wanting to waste another second.

"God, that place was amazing," you rubbed your belly as you and Mark walked out of the restaurant. "I ate so much, I feel like I'm about to burst."

"The food was amazing," Mark agreed, rubbing his own belly like you were. "But, they need to find better servers, that's for sure."

"I didn't think there was anything wrong with the way they served us?"

"Oh, come on. That guy was overly flirting with you the whole night."

You halted in your tracks in disbelief with Mark stopping a few paces ahead of you after he finally noticed that you had stopped walking. "Is that why you were giving him death glares the whole time?" you smirked.

"He's lucky that that's all he got," Mark scoffed. "I ought to go back there and give him a piece of my mind."

Laughing, you walked up to Mark and linked his arms with yours to placate him. "Don't be ridiculous," you bit your lip to stop yourself from laughing as you dragged him towards the cinema complex. "I didn't even notice. I was too busy staring at you."

"You mean too busy staring at the food— ow!" Mark laughed as you continuously smacked him on the arm. "Stop hitting me or I'm not buying you a choc top."

"You wouldn't dare," you gasped.

"Try me."

With a pout, you stopped smacking him, choosing to also let go of his arm as you walked a few paces in front of him. Mark smiled, this was just like old times. Like nothing had ever changed between you. Exhaling to calm himself, he jogged to catch up to you, wrapping his arms around you and whispered his apologies as you both entered the complex. Mark dragged your body towards where the choc tops were, finally earning your forgiveness.

Mark would never admit it, but he couldn't concentrate on the movie. You held his attention instead, and he spent the rest of the movie observing you. With fascination, he noticed how drawn you were to the story. From the twinkle in your eyes when you were amazed, to the way your eyes turned into crescents when you laughed at something that had happened.

Mark etched it all in his memory, locking it away with the others that he would never forget.

After the movie, you both headed home. The night had been perfect — or so he thought. The atmosphere changed as soon as you arrived home and started to get ready for bed, with you insisting that he get ready first. Without you.

Mark's heart plummeted, but he agreed with you nonetheless. You didn't miss the look of disappointment on his face, but you knew he would understand because little did he know, you had a surprise in store for him.

Once it was your turn to get ready, you headed straight into your walk in wardrobe and took a deep breath. Mark had done something wonderful for you and you wanted to return the favour. What you had in mind wasn't as grand as his gesture but you hoped he would appreciate it just as much.

On the bed, Mark was sitting up, back leaning against the headboard as he mindlessly scrolled through his phone. He at least wanted to wait for you so that he could say goodnight. Mark heard the click of the light switch from the walk in and looked up just in time to see you padding across the room towards the en suite.

His jaw dropped and so did his phone. Paired with your sleep shorts, you were wearing a black shirt — his black shirt in fact — and it was like he almost forgot how to breathe. A soft swear slipped from his lips and you smiled at the fact that your plan had worked.

"Are you trying to kill me?" Mark asked as you pulled the covers back and joined him in bed.

"What? Because I'm wearing your shirt?" you laughed. "I'm just trying to say thank you."

"Is that it? Are you sure?"

"Yes," you replied before leaning in to give him a chaste kiss goodnight and lying down on the bed.

"She's trying to kill me," Mark muttered to himself as he laid down beside you and you laughed.

"Go to sleep, Mark."

"Goodnight baby," Mark said as he adjusted your covers and tucked you in.

"Goodnight love," you replied before either of you could overthink it.

Neither of you would admit it, but that was the best sleep you've had in a long time.