CHAPTER TWO

SHERRY

[ CHAPTER TWO: INFATUATION ]

"YOU HAVE TO TRY"

⟡⟡⟡⟡

SHERRY DAVIS WASN'T the most fond of weekly board meetings.

Sitting around a long table with producers, assistants, managers, and directors for an hour to discuss the inner workings of the Corny Collins show could get boring after the first fifteen minutes. She was grateful to be considered part of the 'collaborative team', but she held no real power compared to the people who sat along side her. Sherry had wondered why they kept insisting she come to the meetings and had even argued with her Aunt Maybelle like a child about why she had to go every week. In the end she realized, even if she had no power about what was discussed for the majority of the meeting regarding the main show, she and her aunt held a great amount of power when the topic of Negro Day was brought up. Being included on what she got to do once a month was better than not being included at all so she sucked up listening to Velma Von Tussle and Mr Spritzer drone on and on each week, knowing that she had to be there along side her aunt to be the backbone of their monthly special.

"So, before we wrap things up, let's go over this months schedule for Negro Day."

Finally, Sherry thought out, perking up in her seat.

"So, the numbers we've set out are two numbers from Chubby Checker that aren't finalized, but we're still working with the record company regarding which two we can use this month." Sherry looked over towards her Aunt who was laying out their plan with elegance and poise. She was meant for things much greater than a monthly show in Baltimore, Maryland.

"We were also approved for Foot Stomping by the Flares and Duke of Earl by Gene Chandler. The Trinklettes are singing two of their songs from their newest record, but have yet to be decided due to choreography issues. And finally, two slow ones sung by Sherry." Maybelle looked up from her notebook on the table towards her niece.

Sherry nodded once at her aunt before taking a deep breath and looking at the awaiting faces in front of her. She felt a nudge against her kitten heels and smiled thankfully up at Corny who quickly winked up at her not letting anyone notice the interaction.

"I've narrowed it down to three songs, although I think two of them would be more appropriate this month. Since we don't need approval from the record companies due to it being a cover, I'm thinking Baby, I'm Yours by Barbara Lewis, You'll lose a Good Thing by Barbara Lynn, or Yes I'm Ready by Barbara Mason."

"Well aren't you on a Barbara kick?" Corny teased from across her.

Sherry looked up from her notes then up to Corny, just now realizing how her song choice sounded. "Well, I guess I am. I hadn't realized some of the best women in music are called Barbra, maybe I should change my name? You know, just to be on the safe side." She joked towards the rest of the table, although her eyes never left Corny's.