Inheritance Sequel: Eragon/Arya Saphira/Fírnen

Disclaimer: I own nothing. Christopher Paolini owns everything save a few characters of my making and the general plot line.

"That's it Üther good on your offense, but if you don't take care to guard your left side, she'll break through your defense."

"Yes Ebrithil," Üther grunted through his clenched teeth as he attempted to ward off his fellow Rider-in-training, Ílithia's, blows. Eragon took a step back from the duel to look more closely at the two trainees' growth.

They are progressing, Ílithia is becoming quite the master at swordsmanship, but I'm not quite sure that Üther understands yet that if he continues to stand there unmoving that he will not evade her blows any easier, Eragon thought.

Keep in mind little one that Oromis gave you that very same advice long ago, Saphira commented.

You are right Saphira, as usual. 

When am I not?

However, it seems like so long ago that I was in the exact same position as they are now. 

Yes, it does seem that way, however the time is made even longer as you are not the same boy you were back then.

Indeed I am not. It has been what, four and twenty years since I last was in Alagaëisia?

Five and twenty to be exact, but yes it has been quite a long time since we flew over those lands. What I wouldn't give to hunt a Nagra right now and to drink some of the dwarves' most delicious mead. 

Their conversation was abruptly interrupted as the sound of clanging steel rang throughout the practice area, closely accompanied by the falling of Üther's sword to the ground.

"Dead," stated Ílithia as she held the very tip of her sword against the disarmed Urgal's exposed throat.

"Good job Ílithia on disarming your opponent, however your mind was not entirely focused on this duel. If you had just fought a real battle your opponent could have easily taken advantage of that and you would have ended up where Üther is right now. Try to maintain a greater level of involvement next time."

"Yes Master."

"As for you Üther, I am going to give you a piece of advice that was given to me long ago, do you wish to receive it?"

"Of course Ebrithil."

"He who stands like a pillar in battle will fall, while he who bends and sways like a reed will prevail. You would do best to keep that in mind if you wish to triumph over any opponent in battle," Eragon advised the young Urgal. "Now, I suggest that if either of you would like to eat tonight, that you would hurry back to your quarters and clean up before coming to the dining hall. You have given yourselves just enough time to get the task done so do not tarry!"

"Yes Ebrithil," they both replied before running off towards the cliff where Saphira was teaching Üther's dragon, a shining amethyst named Reina, and Ílithia's dragon, a deep scarlet named Rubin, how do complex aerial maneuvers used for battle.

Saphira, you should end your teaching for the day. These young-uns deserve a chance to wash up before supper, Eragon relayed to her.

Very well, but they will have to do one more run through of their learnings of the day, she relayed back.

Once their trainees had disappeared with their partners off to their respective abodes in order to prepare for dinner, Eragon and Saphira headed off to their own quarters to rest a small amount before they needed to return to the dining hall.