After a moment they gingerly approached the doorway and peered out into the lab. The thing seemed to have settled down again, causing Jamie to heave a sigh of relief. For a moment they stood watching it to avoid any more unpleasant surprises. Jamie caught a surreptitious nod from the Doctor, signaling they could try again.

They slowly made their way back out into the  lab, cautiously approaching the organism

They slowly made their way back out into the lab, cautiously approaching the organism. Jamie tried to get in front of the Doctor and Benton to shield them from any possible attacks, but the Doctor gently pushed him to the side. He'd approached the organism closer and bent to stare at it. Jamie wondered if that was such a good idea.

Benton seemed to concur. "You're not going near that thing, Doctor, are you?"

"I think it's all right. Just hiccups," the Doctor replied. Staring further at the organism, his mouth slowly spread into a grin. "Fascinating!"

Jamie rolled his eyes. "Oh, aye, a huge mad thing like that just swallowin' things an' people up. Ye gannae get yerself killed!"

Apparently the Doctor was unconcerned and simply ignored him. Jamie felt a nudge to his shoulder and turned to find Benton giving him a faint shake of his head.

The organism suddenly crackled to life again and in an instant, Jamie had rushed up to the Doctor and grabbed his arm.

The Brigadier suddenly appeared in the corridor just outside the lab, apparently having witnessed or heard the commotion. "For heaven's sake, be careful, Doctor!" he exclaimed, drawing his gun.

The Doctor rushed up to him, Jamie and Benton following.

"No, no, Brigadier, leave it alone!" the Doctor protested. "It's not dangerous for the moment. It seems to think it's achieved its mission."

Jamie tried hard to stifle a grin as he noticed the Brigadier doing a double take and staring hard at the Doctor's face. "Oh, no," the older man said gravely.

"Oh, yes," his Doctor merely replied with a grin of his own.

The Brigadier looked absolutely baffled. Jamie did wonder how he would react to seeing this version of the Doctor.

"Yes, but you're not the ..."

"Yes it is, Sir," Benton replied. "It's the first one."

"Aye, it's ... him," Jamie added awkwardly.

The Doctor stepped forward, shaking the Brigadier's hand. "How are you, Brigadier?"

"Pretty well, thanks," the other man replied, still sounding dazed. "Doctor, what in blazes are you doing? Why did you change your appearance, and what's happened to Miss Grant?"

Jamie bit his lip to keep from laughing. The notion that the Brigadier believed this Doctor was the same as the current one and had merely changed his appearance to mess with him was quite amusing.