"A week?"

"A night."

Holy shit.

We're both quiet. My brain ticks over as I think about how much the girls must sell to be able to take home that much money in one night. Ten girls, about a grand each, seven nights a week – my mind reels. Nick must be making an absolute killing.

"How do I know who buys?"

"They'll come to you. "

"How do—"

"You need to stop asking questions," Mike says with a frown. "Ask Nick if you want to know more."

"Mike—"

He jabs a finger over my shoulder. "Katie is looking for you."

I turn to see the crowd parting, Katie appearing like Moses through the crowd. She teeters on long legs across the club, half-running, her eyes wild. When she spots me her eyes widen and she practically jumps on me.

"Scarlet," she hisses, grabbing me by the hand. "You have to stop him," she says, pulling me through the club, frantic.

"Stop who? Katie, what's going on?"

It's then I feel her hand trembling around mine. "He's out of his mind. She didn't mean it. She would never… but he's out of his mind."

I hear the scream the moment the dressing room door opens. It cuts right through the thunder of the music, slapping me right in the face. I have to push my way through the small crowd of girls, moving them aside as they stand, frozen, in a loose circle.

Nick is breathing hard, his shoulders rising and falling beneath his shirt, his arms limp at his side. At his feet, blood from her cut lip smeared across her chin, Tia lies crumpled on the floor, her hands trembling as she raises her arms to protect herself.

"I'm sorry—"

He lifts her by the hair like she's nothing. A ragdoll. A child. His eyes are black pools of hatred ringed with red – like nothing I've seen before.

This isn't Nick —this is whatever he kept hidden inside. This is the monster I knew he was let loose.

Rage seeps from him, radiating from him like heat from a fire. It pulses and vibrates around him.

"You're hurting me," Tia whimpers, trying in vain to release the hold he has on her hair. He simply tightens his grip until she quiets.

"What are you doing just standing there?" I hiss at the girl beside me.

"No," she whispers back, reaching for me as I brush past her. "Don't!"

I'm across the room in a heartbeat, tugging on Nick's arm. "Nick, stop." I tug harder. "Stop!"

When he doesn't release his hold I do the only thing I can think of – I throw myself at him. He lurches as I shove him hard, stumbling to the right.

"Leave her alone."

There's actually a moment where I'm relieved. Where he lets go of Tia, allowing her fall back to the floor with a thump, and I feel a moment of sheer relief. But then he turns to me and I know it was a mistake.