𝐗𝐕

"DO I has to sleep over?"

"Yeah, baby. It'll be fun, just like before."

I toss Cody's nightlight into his backpack.

"But why?"

"'Cause Momma has to work."

"But where's Harry?"

Story of my life.

"He's away, remember?"

Cody sighs. "Why?"

"Because he is. But you'll see him on your birthday."

"When's my birthday again?"

"Sunday. Two more sleeps."

"Why can't it be my birthday now?"

Trying to think of a logical yet simple answer to this question, while also trying to wrestle a four-year-old into his pajamas, proves to be a difficulty. "Because you were born on the fifteenth, not the thirteenth."

"Why?"

I sigh, letting all of the air out of my lungs in an attempt to not get angry. This "why" thing is new and becoming a real problem. "Because that was the day the stork decided to bring you. Now, did you find your slippers like I asked?"

Lolling his head around on his shoulders, Cody turns to trudge into his bedroom, dragging his feet.

Half an hour later, I'm standing at Neda's door, listening to her yell at Amun to turn the TV down as the door swings open.

"Ah," she coos, wrapping her weathered hands over my cheeks. "Beautiful Scarlet." The warmth of her touch and smile and the smell of her home cooking are comforting, making me realize how much I miss her and Amun.

"And you, handsome Mr. Cody." He giggles as she kisses his face loudly. "Amun!" she yells over he shoulder, followed by something in Farsi, which he responds to in kind.

Neda makes a noise at the back of her throat, waving her hand in the direction of her husband. "Come," she urges. "I make you tea, and you eat something before you go."

Plopping Cody's bag at my feet, I shake my head. "Thank you, but I really have to go. I'm so sorry."

"No, no, no. Here…" Neda hustles into the kitchen as fast as she can, returning a moment later with something wrapped in foil. "Take." Shoving the food at me with one hand, she wraps a bony hand around my arm with the other. "You too thin!" she says, shaking with surprising force. "Must eat more."

The foil is warm, and I can smell whatever's inside as it warms my palm. It's something meat-filled and spicy, and it makes my stomach growl with hunger. I smile, suppressing the urge to rip through the foil and gobble it up on the spot. Instead, I lean forward to press a kiss to her paper-thin cheek. "Thank you."

I bend down to hug Cody, squeezing his small body against mine. "Night, baby. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

He nods, looking a little sad. The face tears a little hole in my heart.

"Be good for Neda?" He nods. "I love you."

"Love you," he says back.

Standing, I pull my car keys from my pocket. "I'll come by tomorrow and take him for the day. You're sure you don't mind taking him both nights?"

"Of course not," says Neda. "But you be here for birthday."

Guilt rips through me but I put a lid on it, shoving it down deep with the rest of the things I can't deal with high now. "I will. I'll pick him up early on Sunday." I straighten my shoulders. "I have the night off but I can't take both nights off."