Chapter Two-Victoria Winters at Collinsport-Part one

Picture of the late Joan Bennett as Vampire Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard in Dan Curtis's "Dark Shadows"; and episode 2 of the 1966 first season, right in the media section, in which Victoria Winters meets more the weird Vampire family, while the beginnings of the family connections spread terror in town.

Warning: It is rated PG for supernaural horror violence, adult themes.

You must be 13 years and over to see and hear it.

B/W.

*

The train master blew his whistle.

"END OF THE LINE...COLLINSPORT!", he yelled.

And I, Victoria Winters, knew that my life would, indeed, be forever changed.

*

It seemed like a world away.

New York's bright lights were flashy; the go-go clubs were also flashy. And, due to the townsfolk's queer looks they gave me.

They didn't know why a woman of moderate means wanted a job. But, unlike the other girls who worked for rich men as secretaries...and manning the telephones, the coldness of the Maine state wasn't like New York; Maine was Maine.

*

Collingsport Train Station became a symbol of 1960's glamor. My long, black hair fell down my back; my blue eyes fell to the luggage on my seat; my short blue skirt flowed down the legs; my brown stockings were new...and were bought at Macy's Department Store; my white bra was covered up, since Mother hated to see me look un-Ladylike; my shoes gleamed in the Maine coldness, as if to seek a feeling of womanhood which was something inherently gothic in my personality...which, because of my letter, reached a precipice...from which, as I stated in my voice over...speaks to anyone who reads this queer story...And makes up his or her mind about the events that have involved me...

...And the family who live on Widow's Hill...in the fishing village of Collingsport, Maine.

*

I arrived at the gothic gates.

Despite my terror, the air was thick.

I could see the fog.

And, in the midst of the prickling sensation in my arms, no one was there. I was about to tap my small, right, hand on the vampiric gates...when I noticed a tall, middle aged woman, gliding towards me; I noticed her steely gaze...which, in some circles of the queer clairvoyants I saw on occasion...reached my mind...and shattered it.

*

"Welcome to Collinsport. I am Elizabeth Collins Stoddard. And, you, dear, are Victoria Winters. Please come inside,".

*

I made myself aware of the glitzy dress that she wore.

And her grey colored hair.

And her blue eyes that gleamed red...

...Or, more to the point, was I dreaming?...

"I don't know why you're...", I begun to say.

"Sadly, my family are in denial of certain...problems. And, to my shock, the fishing village needs to be fed".

She flashed her sharp teeth.

Was it covered in blood?...I ignored the mesmerising detail. Was it my belief in Vampires? Did Vampires exist in the modern World?...

...Was my dreams a fantasy?...

...Was I crazy?....

Then, as I heard the sounds of voices, I gasped again.

***

On the black walls was the picture of a man.

He had a square jawed look, strange looking eyes, and wore a black coat. It was like out of the 18th Century; it was ancient.

His black boots were clean.

But that was impossible.

Or was it?...

...Elizabeth stared at the picture...

...And spoke at length.

"That is Barnabas Collins. The patriarch of the Collins family. He vanished after a scandal that consumed us for centuries. Of course, he is dead. And everyone is too uptight to think of him. We're sure that you will fit in nicely, dear. Sit down in the Dining Room. Would you like some tea?", she asked.

"Oh, yes! I'd like some Elizabeth. If I may...?".

"Yes, dear! Elizabeth shall suffice".

And, for the first time since her arrival at Collinsport, Victoria Winters was home.

***

Suddenly, in the gaze of Barnabas Collins, I wondered whether such a Vampire would come back from the dead; I wondered whether such thoughts was wicked.

Yet, despite my haste, Elizabeth wanted me here.

And, so, I decided to live here...in the gloomy house in Collinsport.

*

I walked to my bedroom.

It was to my left past the eerie hallway.

As I opened the door, a freezing gust of wind blew from the south. I immediately closed it. And, so, as I checked the temperature...I saw a man watching the house.

And staring at me with a look of anger on his tired face.

***

I backed away.

He was a man who looked weird.

He wore a grey coat.

His hazel eyes focused on the bedroom window.

I placed my luggage under the closet.

Two lamps illuminated the room.  Black curtains swayed, even though the doors weren't open. My bed was average sized; my clothes were placed neatly inside.

By 7:00 PM, I was ready for dinner.

And, because of the events of the first night at Collinsport, I vowed to stay on. And, ignoring the queer sensations that disturbed me, I walked out of the room.

I headed down the hallway, and through the huge Dining Room, were I noticed Elizabeth. "Victoria, the other members of my family shall appear soon. It's time you've met them".

"I'd like to see...".

***

And then the sound of a car interrupted me thoughts.

And the rest of the Stoddard family members got out.

And glided into the front door, and into the Dining Room.

***

Page 2.