Tales From Gundarland

Start from the beginning

Historically, the country was divided into a number of independent provinces ruled by dukes, warlords and an occasional madman. The principal occupation of these province leaders was making war on the neighbors. These constant wars provided employment for many dwarf warriors since the dukes prided themselves on the quantity and quality of their ax-dwarfs. Many dwarf families were proud of the generations of warriors who fought exclusively for Duke X or Warlord Y. These families ignored the fact that almost all the warriors died at an unnaturally young age.

ROMEO AND JULIET

Romeo Montague, a poor dwarf silver miner, walked into the market square in the town of Verbona where he bought a fortune cookie from a food vendor, a gnome who had migrated from the distant eastern provinces. Breaking it apart, he removed the slip of paper inside. It read: “Today, you will meet the love of your life.”

Romeo snorted, balled up the paper and flipped it into the dirt road just as three elf riders entered the square from the opposite corner. The appearance of the Capulet brothers turned Romeo’s mouth dry; too dry to eat the hard cookie. He dropped it and looked for a place to conceal himself. He didn’t fear the brothers, but a confrontation would make him late for his ballet class. Before he could move away, Banquette, the middle brother, called out, “Look! A Montague!”

“A little dueling exercise will build our appetites.” Puque, the youngest brother, flipped his blue cape over his shoulder, exposing the rapier on his hip. All the elves wore black riding boots, tan breeches, a blue doublet and a matching cape. House Capulet had pretensions of nobility and so had adopted blue as their color, as if a color could make folks forget about their crimes.

Led by Foberon, the oldest, they dismounted, drew their rapiers and advanced towards Romeo. The brothers possessed a bad reputation in town because of their notorious ways and constant roistering.

“Let’s do this quickly before the authorities arrive.” Banquette walked with a limp from a riding accident.

“I p . . . propose we each stick him twice.” Foberon chuckled. “Just to see the c . . . color of a dwarf’s blood.”

They moved closer, waving their blades so the points whistled. Romeo backed up against a wall and drew his battle ax.

“An ax won’t save you, dwarf scum,” Puque said. “Not against three of us.” “Aye,” Romeo replied, “but it’s good enough to kill one of you before you get me.” The brothers hesitated a moment. “He’s bluffing,” Banquette said. “We can kill him before he harms us.” “Foberon!” Romeo grinned at the elf. “I choose you. You’re the eldest, so it’s only

fitting that you die first.” Foberon’s rapier paused in mid-swing. “I’m sure,” Romeo continued, “Banquette and Puque won’t mind splitting your portion of

the inheritance.” He laughed at the expression of dismay on Foberon’s face. “Hark.” Foberon cocked his head to one side. “I th . . . think I hear the authorities. We

must d . . . depart.” “We’ll finish this another time, Romeo,” Banquette said as he put up his blade. “Anxious to get your brother killed, are you?” The elves mounted their horses and rode off. Romeo watched them leave. The feud had been in existence as far back as he could

remember and it would continue until one side was wiped out. Fifty years ago, his family had discovered an emerald mine. Within a short time, the Capulet's had stolen it through legal trickery. Since then, a dozen members of each clan had been murdered because of the feud.

A few blocks beyond the square, Romeo came to the old warehouse used by his dancing instructor. He knew he was good enough to dance professionally, and someday soon he