Chapter 3: The Plan

The zombies moved as one, slowly advancing on the twins' base. The dim-witted creatures didn't care that only Dan was up in the skybase. As soon as the beasts were within range, he began firing as fast as he could. The green-headed creatures were bunched together, making it difficult to miss. 

   As if on cue, the mass of zombie abruptly separated from their tight formation. They sprang outward, quickly closing the distance to the base. Dan continued pumping arrows into the beasts, chipping away at their numbers from a safe distance. The monsters became harder to hit as they took on more evasive maneuvers, slowing their advance. One zombie finally got under the skybase, then another, and another. Because they were under him, Dan could no longer shoot the threats. He knew this was the moment.

   "Sadie NOW!" he screamed.

   Suddenly, Dan saw the small silhouette of an NPC girl emerge from behind a large building. Light reflected off of something shiny in the shadows, and suddenly a zombie howled in pain. Then another. Then another. The zombies began moving in the general location of the arrows, moving out from the protection of the cobblestone structure. Dan smiled as their plan was carried out, the zombies' action putting them in an overlapping field of fire. The hateful creatures roared in rage as the pointed rain whittled down the force with lethal efficiency. Soon, only a few stragglers remained. 

   Dan climbed down from his skybase and drew his stone sword. He charged at the zombies, determined to destroy. The first zombie turned to face its enemy just as Dan brought his blade down on it, claiming the last of its HP. 

   Without stopping to collect the XP, the NPC sprinted toward the last zombie. However, this creature was smarter. When Dan was blocks away from it, it slashed at him, dark claws gleaming in the moonlight. Surprised by the sudden attack, the NPC stopped his attack in a desperate attempt to dodge. He fell hard on the floor, flashing red as he took a little damage. Just as the zombie was about to strike, a lone arrow streaked out of the darkness and struck the creature in the arm, followed by another, making it topple over. Sadie rushed to Dan's side.

   "Are you hurt? Can you stand?" she questioned frantically. 

   "I'm fine." Dan replied as he stood up. They jogged over to the fallen zombie. Its HP was dangerously low.

   "Why did so many zombies attack tonight?" Dan demanded. The zombie laughed, which was quickly cut off by a chain of coughs.

   "This NPC thinks that was a lot of zombies? Ha! We were merely the scouts." The zombie wheezed, and was raked by violent coughs. "Why did you attack this village specifically?" Sadie asked.

   Ignoring the question, the zombie continued, "This zombie thinks that NPCs are fools. The mobs will destroy all NPC life. See, you two NPCs were never even supposed to be in the game. Your leader has lied to you. It is all because of a user. You are not glitches, you are mods. Every mob has at least one of these." The zombie stopped to catch his breath, then continued. "The NPCs before me think that they are special. This is not so. The mobs' modded entities will destroy the foolish NPCs. And you 'special' NPCs will be destroyed. By ours."