The Story

The sun was still hiding, lending some more time for Megha to finish up her mouth-watering feast while she was engaged on phone with Rahul, her husband.

"Are you done eating?" laughed Rahul on call.

"Almost! Now just the last spoon of kheer and a glass of water." she replied with the endearing smile on her face.

"Ha-ha, I can't imagine you being hungry all day." joked Rahul.

"Shut up, Rahul. I can do it. After all it's for you to bear me life long." she said finishing her glass of water.

"Yes Ma'am. Certainly is. Poor me." he fake sighed.

"Rahul." she yelled.

"Okay okay relax my lady. You'll awaken the whole building." he laughed.

"Women are already awake though." she stated as a matter of fact.

"Cause they can't stay hungry all day."

"No, cause they're following rituals. And you better be on time tonight." she said sternly.

"Of course. After the moon appears, the rats in your stomach would hurl up their pace."

"Rahul, I don't want to talk to you. Bye." she faked her anger.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry. I'll come soon, promise."

"Love you. Take care." she smiled as she cleared the table.

"Love you too." he smiled and hung up.

After cleaning up everything she went to her bedroom and opened the parcel, she had received yesterday, which said "With Love, Mom." Her mother in law had sent the parcel for the special day, rather night. While she opened the parcel and scattered everything on the bed a smile played on her lips. There were red bangles, jewellery, mehendi, sindoor, and mini make-up kit including the auspicious black kohl, toe rings and a beautiful red saree. These things, that come up to the count of sixteen and are termed auspicious, together define a married woman in Hindu culture. As rituals speak, these are given to a married woman by her husband's mother on the occasion of Karva Chauth. Staying miles away, Rahul's mother sent the sargi, the auspicious sixteen, for her daughter in law via courier service.

Megha is a working woman who lives with her husband in the busy lines of the dreaming city, Mumbai. Her in-laws reside in their hometown, Lucknow. Rahul, Megha's husband, has his own transportation business and keeps travelling to various cities. The young couple made their way to Mumbai a couple of months ago in the hope of a new life.

As the sun shined bright in the sky the daily routine fell into place. The milkman delivered the milk in every flat of the building followed by newspaper. The kids ran down the building to their school bus. The senior citizens came down to the garden for their morning walk. The working category of people cracked out of the building towards their office. The bustling road came to life, soon enough, causing the same irritating noise inviting the age-old traffic.

Megha was already dressed up and didn't have much work for the day. She had taken leave for a day from office to live her promising day heartily but that didn't work out much owing to her food craving stomach and thirst filled throat. Though she had a feast of her own a while ago, she felt thirsty and hungry as if she had been hungry since forever and now she couldn't eat or drink till the moon glows bright in the sky. While she was fighting with her hunger and thirst the door bell rang to life. As she opened the door she witnessed a group of ladies giggling among themselves.

"Namaste, please come in." she greeted and welcomed them inside.

"Hello, Megha! How's the day so far?" one of them asked.