Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Music suggestion: I don't bite – We Are Scientists

Despite having spent over 13 years with her, Shiloh was still impossible to read. She was an impenetrable wall, a void, her features betraying nothing as I imparted the past hour to her in the common room of the small Anglican Church currently housing us. The poorly maintained structure was crumbling in certain parts, and yet, it was the nicest place I'd stayed in the states since becoming a Walker. While I found myself sitting in anticipation for her to speak, my brothers filled the silence with their own opinions and suggestions, as usual.

"Maria?" Tobin said and crossed his arms, his displeasure woven tightly into each word. "We should give this city the same treatment as Jacksonville. Put some fear into these leeches. Let them have their blood week."

Una shook her head, saying, "Unwise. I know of Maria. She and her horde live toward the border of Mexico in the desert. She is an animal, nothing like the landowners in Florida. She would kill us before bartering."

Tobin shrugged. "Then we cleanse the nest. It cannot be any larger than the Romanian nest we took down two years ago."

Una laughed in response. "Your memory of Romania is sunnier than mine. We were lucky we survived. I still maintain that they let us go."

"Regardless," said Tobin, his hostility growing a bit more. "If she is creating newborns for this outsider, then it affects us. Shiloh, you decreed that we handle newborns if they appear, did you not?"

His eyes found Shiloh's fierce gaze, forcing him to bow his head and take a step back. When Tobin let his anger get the best of him, he had a knack for disrespecting anything and everyone around him—including Shiloh. I had witnessed it while we traveled through Japan and Tobin had made the sole decision to clear out a newborn nest masquerading as an exclusive cabaret. We had almost lost Rix trying to rescue our brother, and it was one of the few instances I'd seen Shiloh get visibly angry and violent.

Shiloh stood, running a hand through her hair. "We do not suffer newborns. However, we will pause and wait to see who ordered their creation. The core may prove informative. Meanwhile, you will all travel in pairs. No one is permitted to wander alone. Understood?"

We all nodded. Although I would enjoy ripping apart some newborns, Shiloh's words rang in my ears and I resigned myself to be patient.

While Tobin and Una left together, Collin, Tobin, and I left the common room and descended into the small parish church's basement. It was interesting to see the way the elderly administrative staff curiously watched up, a glimmer of wonder in their eyes. Shiloh and Dex had established a close relationship with the Anglican Church long ago, and although the majority of their connections had died without passing on their information to successors, there were a handful that still maintained the ancient agreement.

Considering the conditions we usually inhabited, the church's basement was a luxury. Reserved for traveling guests, the dorm room was carpeted, with gym lockers pressed against a wall, and 12 bunk beds lining the middle of the room. There was also a crudely built bathroom attached with 3 showers, toilets, and other amenities.

I had just sat down on a bed when Tobin growled.

"What's wrong?" Collin asked.

Tobin turned him back to us. "Nothing."

"That's a lie," Collin said. He poked Tobin in the back, causing our taller brother to growl again. "You're not sore about Shiloh's decision, are you?"

Tobin shrugged.

I sighed and stood. "Not this again. Believe me, I'm frustrated, too. But you can't keep disobeying Shiloh. She does these things for a reason. You know this."