Start of Something New

Start from the beginning

“I wanted to know if there's any other way we could settle the dispute without me marrying her.”

“We talked about this, Lisa.”

“Yeah I know, but it's very obvious Jennie doesn't like me, much less wants to marry me. Maybe there's some other way we can settle this with Uncle Jaehyung.”

“And then lose a part of our land? I don't want to risk it, we've already agreed on marriage and that's how we will proceed.”

“But why does this have to be on me? Why do I have to make the sacrifices?”

“Because this land and our business will fall to you when your mother and I are gone.” The frown on his forehead is deeper now.

“But I don't wan-”

“Not this again, child!” His deep bellow reverberated around the room and she deflated in her seat. Scared and speechless, feeling like she's eleven again when she carelessly threw her baseball around and accidentally broke a whole bottle of his most expensive bourbon.

“We all make sacrifices for this land that's been in our family for generations and it is time you do your part, Lisa. I don't wanna hear anymore of your petty grievances, I still have work to do.”

Shoulders hunched, she timidly stood up.

“You mentioned how she doesn't like you.” She heard him say as she was about to open the door. “Then court her, go to her house tomorrow. Pester her if you have to, if that's what you're worried about.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Do not disappoint me, Lalisa.” She nodded as she closed the door. She could feel his heavy stare even through the door.

                             © © © © ©

“Jen?”

Jennie stopped scrolling through her phone as the door opened, her father stepping inside with a soft smile.

“I missed you, baby.” He swept her hair that was covering her forehead to the side as he sat on the right side of her bed.

“Look, I know this situation has been causing you a great deal of stress.”

“Yeah, the thought of my father giving me no choice but to marry someone I don't even love is very stressful indeed.”

He sighed heavily, and for the first time since she came home, Jennie noticed that the wrinkles on his forehead and around his eyes are more pronounced. He looked old and tired.

“Jen, Marcus is a very difficult man to go against. If we really go to court, there's a huge chance it will turn up in his favor. He really might take our land and more.”

Jennie kept herself quiet, arms crossed as she sat on the bed. She thought about how serious this is for her family and for their business.

“Maybe you can marry Lisa for a year. Give me a year and I'll do everything I can to find a loophole and get us out of this situation and get a divorce.”

She looked at her father intently as he held her hand, biting her lip and looking indecisive.

“You promise?”

“Cross my heart.”

She smiled as she sat straight to hug her father, her head resting against his broad and warm shoulder.

“Okay.”

“Thank you, baby.”

                          © © © © ©