Start of Something New

“WAIT JENNIE! You have a boyfriend?!” Lisa was panting when she caught up to Jennie.

“Did I stutter?”

“Uh… hey?” Nayeon fortunately interrupted what was soon to be another argument. Although she looked amused as she looked at the pair who were frowning at each other. ”Lisa, your parents wanted to let you know you guys are gonna go.”

“Well great, you're finally leaving. Best news I've heard all day.” With a whip of her hair that nearly hit Lisa in the face Jennie made her way back to the living room.

Lisa frowned even more at the girl’s retreating back, well if Jennie's gonna be rude, “Your cheeks got even chubbier!” She gave a self satisfied smile when Jennie halted.

“Yeah? Well I can see a bald spot starting to form at the top of your head, must be all that hair dye.” The girl shot back then sassily walked back inside. She didn't see Lisa sticking her tongue out at her, Nayeon slapped Lisa on the arm with a giggle at the display.

Jennie went to say a quick goodbye to the Manobans then made her way to her room without sparing her father a glance.

Back in the garden, Lisa asked Nayeon the question that's been picking at her brain the moment it came out of Jennie's mouth.

“Does she really have a boyfriend?” Nayeon could only sigh at the puppy eyes pointed her way.

“Just this guy she's been going out with for a couple months now. It's nothing serious, really.”

“Oh.” Lisa looked preppy after hearing that.

“I thought you'd know about Kai, don't you stalk her on Twitter and Instagram?”

“Wha- I don't stalk her! I just check up on her every time she comes up on my feed!” Lisa was sputtering as she defended herself.

Suuure…” Nayeon was unconvinced if the way she looked at Lisa was anything to go by.”You follow her on her social media accounts, right?”

Lisa blushed but nodded.

“And she doesn't follow you.”

Lisa looked as red as a tomato now, hands awkwardly placed at her hips as she shyly toed the ground with her white tennis shoes.

“Uh nope. No she doesn't.”

“Oh you poor thing.” Nayeon put her hand in sympathy on Lisa's shoulder as Lisa cringed in embarrassment.

                           © © © © ©

Lisa tentatively knocked on her father's office. They just got back from their visit with the Kims half an hour ago.

“Come in.” Her father's deep voice sounded from the inside and Lisa swallowed nervously but pushed on and opened the door.

Her father's office was large, with lush carpet on the floor and a wide window at the back of Marcus Manoban’s chair allowing the soft orange twilight to fill the room.

She could smell the sharp smell of cigar as it lazily burned in the ashtray on the large mahogany desk.

Lisa slowly sat down on the uncomfortable chair that faced his desk. Her father still hasn't looked up, his large hand flying across the paper as he wrote.

“I wanna talk about my marriage with Jennie Kim, Sir.”

He slowly put his pen down and gave her all his attention, his unwavering stare made her want to start squirming in her place.