Chapter 1: The Birth of Legends

The blocky sun ascended into the cloudless blue sky for another beautiful day in Minecraft. As villagers began to flow out of their small wooden dwellings, they whispered among themselves that today would be a very special day. And indeed it was. Every billion or so lines of code, a bug in the system appears.

   The crowd of villagers gathered around the Town Hall, which consisted of a wide cobblestone base with a tower jutting out of the center. The crowd of villagers flooded through the double doors, eager to hear what Mayor had to say.

   Each villager was named after their job. If you were the best at farming, you were named Farmer. If you could see the farthest, you were named Watcher, and so on.

   The crowd murmured to each other, their blocky expressions betraying their nervousness. "I hear it's gonna be a boy." an NPC whispered. "Maybe it's a girl." another suggested. The gossip subsided as Mayor stepped up to the podium. He wore a yellow smock with a black stripe running down the middle, indicating others of his high authority as Mayor. He had shaggy brown hair and bright blue eyes. He cleared his throat.

   "Citizens of this village," he began, "We gather here today to acknowledge the spawning of a very special village-er... villagers."

   The crowd gasped.

   Murmurs of surprise rippled through the collection of NPCs. "Yes. I said villagers." Mayor confirmed. From backstage, a woman wearing a white smock with a red stripe running down the middle walked onstage. Her clothing indicated her position as a Carer. Her pale skin tone complimented her flowing blonde hair and dark green eyes.  Carer moved at a slow pace, careful not to drop the wooden basket she held because like all villagers, her arms were linked across her chest, her arms permanently in her sleeves. They could only separate their hands if they were doing their job. Their programming forbade them to do anything more. 

   She carefully placed the basket on a raised block next to the podium. Carer gave a nod to Mayor, then returned to the backstage area. 

  "Now listen carefully," Mayor beckoned the crowd a step closer. "These villagers are very special. Their arms are not restricted to their sleeves. They could become Woodcutters. They could become farmers." The Farmer triplets looked away sheepishly. "They can become anything that they please, and you all will treat them as equals, as they will you. I want you all to treat these NPCs as one of your own, because they are. Thank you for your time." And with that, the Mayor carefully eased the basket onto his arms and began walking towards the door. The large collection of NPCs parted for their Mayor, many stealing glances at the NPCs within the basket. 

   The babies in the basket were twin brother and sister. The boy had a light skin tone, curly brown hair, and deep violet eyes. The girl also had a light skin tone with bright yellow eyes and luscious brown curls.

   The twins also did not possess the large, bulbous noses that villagers are known to have. The twins had normal noses, making them look oddly like a user's. But one difference stood above all the rest.

   The NPCs' arms lay at their sides.