Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

He fiddled with his pockets before he pulled out a small bag. "I brought money."

The man took two coins from Gilbert's hands before speaking. "Yes. We make for you. We bring when ready."

"So when might I expect it?"

"When ready." Gilbert nodded, and skated off, only to be replaced by Anne.

"Hello there!" Anne grinned, "I'd love to write an article about you and how you make your splendid sticks. Would that be possible?" Anne looked hopeful as she clutched the book to her chest.

"She's really good at it!" Mabel nodded, "Almost perfect..

"What is.. ar-ti-cle?" The young girl tilted her head as she searched Anne and Mabel's faces.

"I would ask you questions, learn about you, your work, and write it down for people to read." Anne explained slowly, making sure they both understood. She unfolded a piece  of paper and handed it to them. "Like this."

When Mabel saw the look on his face when he shook his head no, her heart dropped.

The man's daughter said something in their language, causing him to nod in agreement. "I see.. Smart. Yes."

"May I come visit your home later? To begin-"

"Hey." Billy interrupted, skating up.

"Oh, no.." Mabel murmured, shaking her head.

"Make me a stick?"

"You're supposed to say please. And ask nicely." Mabel scolded the older boy.

"I'll trade you for it." He tossed the cloth at them.

The girl, Ka'Kwet, picked up the cloth and angrily threw it back at him.

"Watch your step, Redskin." Bill sneered, skating away.

"I'm sorry!" Anne apologized for him, "He's very rude. Is it alright if I still visit you later?"

"It is a long way and.. not easy."

"Anything that is worth having is some trouble." Mabel glanced down at Anne's lips as she spoke momentarily before nodding in agreement.

"That way. Past all fences, go away from the ocean to the dead tree. Find the thin water that moves, travel upstream until all around you is green trees. Walk with the water the way the sun goes down, until the land goes flat and open. Our home is there." Ka'kwet explained, smiling at the two girls.

"It sounds like a poetic paradise.." Anne nodded at Ka'kwet as she left.

"Are you going to come with?"

Mabel shook her head, "I'm not sure. Maybe."

"Well, I certainly hope you do."

~~

"Happy birthday!" Mabel cried cheerily, throwing her arms around Anne and spinning her around. "You're actually sixteen! I simply can't believe you finally made it. You made me feel so old."

Anne laughed, throwing her head back as she wrapped her arms around Mabel's waist.

"I got you something." Mabel grinned, pulling away and reaching into her coat pocket.

"What? Mabel, you really shouldn't have!" Anne shook her head, looking down at the small box.

"But I did.. Just open it!" Mabel clapped her hands together as Anne examined the box in her hands.

"Are you sure?" Anne said carefully, brushing her hands against the blue ribbon.

"Yes!" Mabel groaned, "Open it!"

"Okay, okay, okay." Anne slowly pulled at the ribbon until it unraveled before she pulled the lid off of the tiny box.

She gasped, reaching her hand in and pulling out the necklace. Anne's eyes welled up with tears. "I-I-"

"Do you like it?" Mabel asked, concern lacing her tone as she gazed at the necklace with Anne's birthstone hanging on the end.

"I love it." Anne's voice was quiet as she gazed at Mabel.

"I'm glad."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ Word Count: 1

{ A/n: im Tired so if theres spelling mistakes im SORRY }

{ Edited: No }