Hunting Shadows (Chapter 5)

Chapter 5:

"You can't be serious." I said as I looked up at her. My smile faded when she continued to stare down at me with the same expression.

"She's telling the truth Blaire."

A voice came from behind me. Making me jump and turn around to see who it was. I was met with Zane's deep blue eyes.

I shook me head. This couldn't be happening. My earlier terrors of them hunting humans came back to me. "Do you guys hunt..." I didn't want to say the word. But I knew I needed to. "People?"

Zane's answer didn't make me feel any better. "Sort of." I felt dizzy and sick. Wanting to sit down, Zane must have sensed this because he led me to one of the benches against the far wall.

They hunted humans. That explained why their main goal was on working out and why they were all muscular. That explained why that girl had a knife in her hand. She stood next to Airlia, looking down at me. I couldn't help but notice how she never let go of the knife as it caught  the moonlight. Seeing her like this made me feel worse.

I didn't know where to start as questions spun in my mind. My head told me to get the hell out of there. That I wasn't safe near these freaks, no one was. Zane sat next to me. The smell of his cologne wrapped its scent around my nose. Making his presence much stronger.

He put a hand on my shoulder like he did the first day we met. "I know this is hard on you. Believe me, we all go through this. But you shouldn't of had found out this way." He glared at Airlia, she didn't flinch from the look in his eyes like I did.

He broke his death stare, giving me a look of compassion. "But you would have found out eventually."

I finally found my voice. "Then tell me who the hell you guys are." I was more furious now then scared. Furious because they had made me join this school, and now I will have to be training hard to kill. That definitely wasn't on my top things to do.

Zane looked at the people who surrounded us. "You guys should leave, I'd like to explain alone with Blaire."

That didn't make me feel any better. I watched Airlia and "Blade" walk away, wishing I could join them. I sighed as I returned my gaze to Zane. He was looking at the ground, probably trying to figure out where to start.

After what seemed like forever he finally met my eyes. "You may have noticed that we are called Hunters. We have that title when we get our first kill. We don't kill people, unless you count vampires as people. Then-"

"You did not just say that." Vampires were creatures that were made up. They only existed in a person's nightmare.

Zane looked a little annoyed that I had cut him off. "They do exist. I was about to say if you counted them as people then yeah I guess they were somewhat  human looking. But they are not anywhere close to being human when it comes to their natures. Vampires are known as the demons that walk the night in our world."

"Our world?" Clearly that was a mistake, I wasn't a Hunter. I was a girl who lost her parents and moved to a small town to get away from it.

"Yes our world. You are one of us Blaire." I started to protest that I wasn't close to being like them but he cut me off. "That's why you're here. No normal human can get into the Shadow School. They have to have a certain characteristic about themselves, and it has to be big enough to make the Hunters notice. They watched you over a time, and when they noticed that you moved out here they decided to send a letter of acceptance to this school. It took them a while to figure out if you were one of us, because you hid your nature, but you are one of us Blaire. Like it or not."

I was starting to get a headache. "I'm not a Hunter. I'm an average girl who moved out here because her parents died. Not because of some "nature" that I had." I was angry now. Not at Zane, just at the fact that I wasn't who I thought I was.

I got up, ready to walk away from Zane, away from the school. Zane moved, and god was he fast.  He grabbed a hold of my arm, making it impossible to escape him and the world I had just stumbled into. His grip wasn't a gentle one either. Normally I would have screamed or done something to get peoples attention. But Zane's gaze had stopped me. It was like he was telling me he believed in me, and wanted me to trust him.

I jerked away from his grasp. He stepped back, letting me have my room. I took tiny steps away from him, I didn't want any part in this. I found myself wanting to go back to being a ghost in my old school. No matter how nice these students seemed to be.

I turned around heading for the door ready to leave this crazy school.

"Blaire, think fast."

I heared something being thrown although I didn't know what. I turned around to have a cup land in my hand. No. I caught it in midair. Like some pro. Whoa. I looked down at the cup in my hand, expecting it to shatter into a million pieces. It didn't.

Never before in my life had I had that fast of reflexes. Even when my parents were still alive, I never had the skill to catch something. Especially when my dad would through the car keys, they would always manage to hit the ground before I could catch them.

I looked back up at Zane. He smiled. "See I told you you were different. No human could have turned around and caught it that fast. And to have known something was heading their way."

I took in what Zane had just did. I managed to turn around at an insanely fast speed and caught a cup before it had time to make contact with the ground. Amazing.

I found myself wanting to learn more about my new nature, or whatever Zane called it. I looked from the cup and back up at Zane. I gave him my best smile, and I meant it this time. "Okay I'm in."

Zane's smile widened. "We have a lot of work to do."

*

*

*

*