Chapter one: A time for change

The golf club was taken over today by rich, older socialites, on the hottest day of the year. I could feel the beads of sweat build up around my hairline, making me thankful that I used waterproof wig glue to seal the lace to my skin. I attempted to reapply sunscreen to my already dark skin in hopes to protect it from sun damage as I hid in the boiling hot break room.

"Liv?" A  voice spoke from the walkie clipped onto my belt. I huffed and forcefully removed it.

"What's up?" I replied, pressing the side button as hard as I could. I continued

applying the sunscreen to my seemingly melting body.

"What's up?" Kendra asked confused. "You've been on your 'break' for so long that your shift is over."

"Shit." I whisper. I grabbed my phone out of the pocket of my khakis. The

time read 3:55 p.m. I avoided doing any work for my whole shift. Kendra then rushed through the break room doors.

"Thanks a lot, bitch." She grumbled

"Hey! Don't act like you've never done it to me!" I retorted while she attempted to place her long red hair into a braid. "How about we go to the bar and I buy you enough drinks to make you pissy drunk." I could see a small smile on her face. "I know you want to." I sung.

"Okay, okay." She put her hands up in the air. "But you" she spun around and pointed her finger at me. "If we're going out, you have to actually have fun. No more of that sad, dreary shit when you drink. I don't care if you get fucked, be fucked, do whatever drugs you need to. You just better be ready to have a good time." She finished gathering her items at her locker. "I know you're still messed up about what happened" I winced "But it's time for a change." She slammed the small metal door.

***

After a nice hot shower, a nap and a change of clothes, I found myself regretting my offer to Kendra. My feet felt like they were on fire and it felt like I had nails in my ears. She decided to pick the most obnoxious club in the city to attend. It was packed with drunk twenty somethings that were standing and listening to music. I continued to sip on my drink as I stood with the group of girls that Kenda called to stay out with us.

"Hey!" A drunk girl I knew by the name of Alexus yelled at me. "I think that guy is looking at you." I turn my head towards the direction her finger pointed at. The man had medium length dreadlocks hung down in his face and dark brown skin that glowed under the light. His dark eyes that were hidden behind a pair of gold frames were looking right at me. He smiled, brandishing a set of gold grills that mimicked vampire fangs. I turned my head back to Alexus.

"Dear God." I shook. Alexus nodded in agreement while I finished my drink. Feeling overly confident, I turned my body towards the direction where the stranger was standing only to be met by someone's chest. "Oh, sh-"

"Are you good?" The voice was rich, I could feel a rumble in his chest. I peered up at the golden fanged stranger and nodded. "What's your name?"

"I'm Olive. Who are you?"

"Olive, Olive." His mouth was now next to my ear. "You come here often?"

"Uh." I felt lightheaded. I couldn't tell if it was the alcohol hitting me or something else. "What's your name again?" He laughed, sending shivers down my back.

"Your friends are coming back." I turned my head to see Kendra stomping towards me "I'll see you around, Olive."

"Olive!" Kendra yelled. Her heels were off and one of her eyelashes were missing "The uber is here, it's time to go!" I turned around to see the stranger nowhere to be found.

"Okay, sis. Let's get you home."

***

The uber ride was quiet, I stayed on Tinder while Kendra softly spoke to the driver. I swiped left on every profile that popped up. The man from the club is still on my mind. I could still smell his cologne as if he were in the car with us.

Then it happened.

"Found you." I whispered. His profile was right in front of me. Michael, 26. I hastily swiped right, and we were instantly connected. I smiled and began typing.

'I guess I know your name now.' I looked at the message one more time before hitting send. I locked my phone out of excitement. I have not had this much fun in a long time, especially with internet dating. Since Naomi's disappearance, I was unable to enjoy things like tinder or just making friends on the internet. Everyone was a potential threat. But that was 8 years ago, and I needed not only a change but to let go. Kendra was shocked when she found out that I was not prowling the internet for my next hookup and not only downloaded the app onto my phone but made me a profile. I kept it because I saw no harm in it as long as I wasn't actually meeting up with anyone.

But here I am, praying that I get invited to this stranger's home for something more than just talking.

My phone lit up and I rushed to unlock it.

'You liked what you saw, huh.' I smirked. He was a little cocky, but I was falling for it. Another message popped up. It was his address. 'Come through.' I stared blankly at the message. Was I willing to go over to this man's house?

"So, are you going over?" Kendra asked, leaning over towards me, causing me to jump.

"Jesus." I looked at her. "Nosey ass." She rolled her eyes.

"Mr. Driver" Kendra put on her sweet voice "is it okay if we add another stop?"