☼ ten ☼

december 2010
fourteen years old

It was the day before winter break. And Archie wasn't excited. He sat with Reggie and Betty and some of Betty's friends at lunch. Reggie was in the middle of deciding which one he was going to flirt with today. Betty was gossiping with one of her friends. And Archie was just sitting there. He felt as if he wasn't there.

Jughead wasn't there. He was sitting with his new group.

Archie found out some of them were serpents. Well more like Reject Serpents as Archie called them. Their parents were from the north side but they had escaped to south side. They got into the serpents but once they found out that they were from north side they were kicked out. Now they still wear the jackets as if to put up some kind of act that they're big and tough.

Archie only knew this because his dad told him about them and told him to stay away from anything that had to do with with the words "South side" or "serpents"

Archie started questioning if Jughead was a serpent. He couldn't be though. Although he really could be one if he wanted to. He's from the south side. But Archie knew Jughead. Jughead wanted to continue going to school here so he could be with Archie reggie and betty. But that wasn't the reason anymore.

Archie and Jughead haven't talked. Jugheads friends have been mean to him. Archie can't walk through the halls without being tripped or shoved. It's not that big of a deal but it just hurts that Jughead let's it happen.

Jugheads such a wannabe. He tries too hard to fit in with them. It's kind of cringey if Archie's being honest. Reggie and Betty agree.

I've seen your drawings of birds Jughead Jones you're not like them. Archie thought.

"Hey Arch what's the plan for New Years?" Betty snapped Archie out of his thoughts.

"Oh I dunno." Archie shrugged.

"Well of course you do. Me you Reggie and..well I guess not anymore.." Betty said looking over at Jughead. Their New Years hang out had become a tradition. But since Jughead hasn't talked to any of them for months it was pointless.

"Maybe we can still invite him."

"Archie you gotta get over him man." Reggie said.

"What are you talking about?" Archie said. He knew exactly what Reggie was talking about. He just didn't wanna admit that he was right.

"Arch you've been obsessing over Jughead for months. You're always watching him your eyes never leave him when he's around. He's in a new group now. And while it isn't the best group he seems happy." Betty said patting Archie's arm.

Archie pulled his arm away. "I don't think he is. They're bad influences on him. Betty they're not good people. They're Reject Serpents. They take their anger out on the North Side by corrupting the town and I'm afraid they're slowing making Jughead apart of it."

"Jughead isn't your responsibility Arch. He can do what he wants." Betty said sympathetically.

"Overprotective boyfriend." Reggie smirked.

"It's not funny anymore Reg." Betty said.

"It never was funny because it was never true." Archie defended.