"You are pretty sassy for your age."

"You are younger than me."

"See?" Chaeryeong chuckled into the line. "Anyway, I'll be quiet if you'll be quiet."

"Deal." Jisu agreed. "So... do you know how to make porridge?"

"Um, not really. Our guardians here make the food, they are really nice and then there's also Ryujin who likes to use the kitchen."

"I see..." She said deflated.

Too bad Ryujin was in school.

"Why?"

"My mom is sick."

Jisu did know how to cook rice, make omelettes and sandwiches. That's about her knowledge so far in her life.

"Hm, why don't you buy medicine?"

Jisu contemplated. "My mom didn't give me permission to go out."

"Isn't this like an emergency? There should be special rules for that."

"It kinda is..." Jisu muttered. "Maybe you are right but I don't know what to buy."

"Is there a nearby pharmacy or convenience store? Just ask the cashier for advice. When they are not grumpy they usually help."

With new found determination Jisu nodded. "I'll try. Thanks."

"Good luck!" Chaeryeong spoke and it turned silent.

Jisu felt sad that her mom was too weak to respond to her, but she didn't cry.

Her mom never cried in front of her either.

She moved to her piggy bank and put it in her backpack before she left the apartment.

"I'll be back!"

***

Going out on her own always felt foreign.

She is used to her mom pampering her at every step she took.

She squinted her eyes and swallowed.

No time to be weak now.

The amount of people around her made her walk quickly. She could get lost if she doesn't focus.

She knew there was a convenience store around the corner but was it left or right from her home?

She didn't remember.

She went with her gut feeling to the right.

Which was definitely the wrong decision.

After a few more meters she had no idea where she was.

She stood still like a lost puppy.

Good. Her mom is sick and she is lost. What now?

Her eyes welled with tears that threatened to spill out.

She balled her hands and rubbed her eyes as she kept walking.

Yet she couldn't restrain the sniffs that she produced no matter how hard she tried not to cry.