Day #133 - The Bite

I snuck out last night to go swimming by the waterfall, the one that mom and I had discovered yesterday up near the forest edge.

She had told me to stay away and not to go in, saying just because it looked clear and safe didn't mean it was. 

But I couldn't resist, the water looked so calm, so cool, so inviting. 

I quickly slipped off my t-shirt and pants,  jumping in in just my underwear. It was cold, but not too cold to make me get back out. 

The water felt amazing on my skin, bringing a huge smile to my face. It reminded me of the lake at our family cabin back on earth, for a moment I felt comfort. Showering on the Jupiter didn't exactly get you soaked and I didn't realize how much I had missed being in water. But that comfort didn't last, a sharp pain shot through my body, like a burning needle had just poked me.

I looked down to see a small black blob sticking to the inside of my upper left leg. The pain was bad but I didn't panic. I quickly reached down and pulled it off, a chunk of my skin going with it, slinging it into the air far away.

I hurried out of the water, blood was running from the bite mark and down my leg, I tried to get dressed as fast possible.

I was too embarrassed and scared to tell any of my family what happened, especially after mom told me not to go swimming there and dad had said no sneaking out anymore.

Which is why I decided to go see Doctor Smith, I thought maybe she could help me and keep my secret.

She told me she wasn't THAT kind of doctor, the kind that takes care of people. But I didn't care, I just hated the idea of mom or dad finding out and also having to strip down to my undies in front of Judy when I eventually had to show someone where the water bug thing had bitten me. 

I undid the snap and lowered my pants so Doctor Smith could see the bite mark. She stifled a giggle "aren't you a little old for those" she said as she gestured at my soaked rocket ship underwear. They were the ones issued to us in Junior Space cadet academy, back on earth. I didn't care though, Penny always teased me when she saw me in them too but they are my favorite pair.

The pain was growing though and I needed help, tears started to pool in my eyes. "Are you going to help me or just tease me" I blurted out in pain and frustration. The tears overflowed and began to fall. "Okay okay, calm down Will, I think I have something that can help" 

She dug through her bags and eventually found some antibiotic pain cream. She cleaned and dried the bite and put the cream on before covering the entire area with a large bandage. The pain began to subside. I asked her to please not tell anyone what had happened.