Chapter 5

As we were calmly eating, we heard a scream deep in the forest. Alarmed, all of us backed away a little. We heard the cannon go off, and we saw moving through the bushes. We all were prepared to fight, and then it came out… zombies.

          A zombie lunged at us, but missed. We all were startled and Alice washed it away in a reflex.

          “Zombies! How’d that happen?” I asked frantically.

          “Necromancers probably,” Alice said. We all gathered up our food, and ran away. More zombies were coming. There was another Necromancer alive other than Annabell, and she was probably summoning zombies to kill others.

          Zombies were slowly following us, as we tried to make it to the open field where the elevator pods were. Suddenly, a zombie lunged at Roxanne, and bit her. Roxanne crushed it with a boulder, and we all were running down to the open field. We heard a couple of screams, and three cannons went off. 20 tributes were dead, 12 left. A horde of zombies were coming, and we all were running, but then a Cryomancer came out of nowhere and froze Ryan solid. Erika burned the Cryomancer alive. Alice and I were trying to carry him, but he was too heavy. Roxanne had succumbed to the bite of the zombie, and she herself was now a zombie.

          Annabell pushed her away, and sacrificed herself to end the zombie invasion. With all her power, she shot up into the sky and sped back into the ground, creating a black dome, and killing everything within that dome. She killed the zombies, and the Necromancer summoning the zombies. When the black dome disappeared, it looked like nothing ever happened. No Annabell, no Roxanne, no zombies, no nothing. Three cannons went off. 23 tributes were dead, 9 left. There were five enemies now.

          Erika had defrosted Ryan and we were all resting. I was grieving over Roxanne, who was my best friend. Erika and Ryan were comforting me as I was trying to cope with it.

          Two days went by with no activity. No deaths. Then suddenly, as the sun rose up, there were two screams. Two cannons went off, and the four of us came out of the woods. We saw something large running over the trees, and saw a huge tidal wave coming at us. Alice, with her greatest strength, used her powers to block the tidal wave. The tidal wave had dissipated, and nothing more than a few feet of water came at us. 25 tributes dead, 7 left. 3 enemies were still out there. I checked the tribute board, and our enemies were apparently a Hydromancer, a Biomancer, and an Aeromancer.

          Three days later, on the 8th day of the Battle Royale, it got stormy; very stormy. Erika, Ryan, and Alice thought I was causing the storm, but I wasn’t. I explained that it was the Aeromancer who was causing the storm. Suddenly, we felt the wind drop dead still. The air turned crisp. The wind shifted direction, and we saw a tornado forming.

          “The Aeromancer’s definitely the one doing this,” Erika said.

          “You don’t say,” Alice retorted. Erika gave her a stern look back. The tornado got stronger, but then it dissipated suddenly. There was a cannon that reverberated across the arena. 26 dead, 6 left. Only the Hydromancer and the Biomancer left as enemies.

          A week went by with no death. It was actually pretty surprising, come to think of it. Erika, Ryan, Alice and I were actually just relaxing in the forest when I heard a crack nearby. We were all alarmed, and ran out of the forest. A ball of water was coming our way, and it was coming towards Erika, but I pushed her out of the way so the water would hit me. I was pushed back a few feet, but got back up. I saw the Biomancer coming from behind us, but Erika had pushed me back and burned her alive with a fireball. The Hydromancer lunged at Ryan, but Alice pushed him off Ryan. She created a large ball of water, levitated it towards the Hydromancer, and drowned him in that bubble of water. Two cannons went off. 28 tributes were dead, 4 left. Those four… were us. We were the only ones left. We all hugged each other in a group hug, but then we knew the games were not over yet. None of us wanted to kill first, so I gathered up all my strength, charged up with lightning, and shot a large bolt at the forcefield. Everything had shut down. I fell to the ground, weak as hell, and I unknowingly shorted out everything in the arena. The Gamemakers had lost power to the Arena.

          “I did it,” I whispered.

          “Well then…good job,” Ryan said. Erika and Alice helped me up, but now we had to escape. We tried to break out of there, but the forcefield was stronger than I had expected. Erika tried burning her way through, but it only burned halfway through. I was shooting little bolts of electricity on the burnt metal to weaken it more.

          Finally, Alice had corroded the now rusted metal, and made a hole we could all crawl out of as the arena collapsed. We were the final four tributes of the 47th Battle Royale. This Battle Royale ended…differently. We were now survivors, not winners.

This Battle Royale wasn’t over yet… it had barely started.