part one

When I was a little girl, my best friend was Riker Lynch. The two of us did everything together. And when I say everything I mean everything. From walking to school together in our elementary years to joining each other's families for birthday dinners, to sneaking out and hiding in the woods behind my house, Riker and I were inseparable.

Then, somewhere in our middle school years, his parents pulled him from public school. They had decided to home-school all of their kids because of their talent for performing. It was kind of hard at first, not having Riker by my side every day, but I got used to it. I was proud of him for working on his talents and chasing his dreams. Plus, he was always right across the street when I needed him.

One summer day, though, everything changed. I had just turned seventeen, Riker still sixteen, when he sat me down on his front porch and told me that he and his family were moving. To California.

"It's not that far, Kat," he whispered, the evening sun glinting off the tears forming in his eyes.

"It's a different time zone, Riker," I told him, feeling myself turn away. I wanted to cry more than anything. But I couldn't. I was in shock.

"We can talk on the phone every night and you can come to visit at Christmas," he gave me a big smile, though it didn't reach his brown eyes.

"Okay, Riker," I smiled, unable to meet his eyes. Unable to allow myself the luxury of crying in front of him, which, looking back, seems weird considering the fact that he had probably seen me cry more than anyone else.

"Katarina," he said, using my full name, "talk to me. Please."

I looked up just in time to see a single tear fall down his cheek.

"I don't know what to say to you, Riker," I told him as I stood up. "My best friend is leaving me to go chase his dream of being a Hollywood-bred superstar." I threw my hands up in the air. "What do you want me to say?"

It was probably a little bit harsher than it should've been. I watched more tears start to stream down his face for a brief moment before turning to leave. I couldn't see him that way. It broke my heart.

"I'm sorry," I heard him whisper as I descended the porch steps and ran across the street to my house.

That was the last time I ever spoke to Riker Lynch.
—————
date edited: 06.09.2019
it's been a while, but here i am...finally exiting another chapter. thanks for reading! xo
----------------
A/N:
Wow. So I'm realizing that the first few parts I wrote are kinda short, but that's okay. I'm gonna try to update once I've received the amount of votes/comments I ask for, mostly because I want to know that y'all are still interested, but I'll probably just update every day or couple of days since I've already written like 50-some chapters of this story. Let me know what you think, as feedback is always appreciated. 5 votes for Part 2.
xo
K