Chapter 9

Y/N POV

"My mother was the most caring person in the world when I was little, I wanted to grow up to be exactly like her. She had (m/h/c) that blew in the wind and (m/e/c) that sparkled like the stars. She wasn't very tall for her age, and she was sorta skinny."

I watched as Simon soaked in every detail, even as he yawned, he yearned for more information. 

"My favourite time with my mum, that I can remember, is when we got the swing. You see, outside our house is a tall, strong oak tree that had been in my front yard for as long as I could remember. No apples would grow on it but we never cut it down. When I was little, I had seen other kids have swings and I always wanted one so one day, my father cut some wood and fashioned it to look like seat. He got some rope and tied the wood to the tree so it hung off of a branch."

"Was it like the one in our backyard?" asked Simon drowsily. He was struggling to keep his eyes open but he was hanging off every word.

"It looks so similar, it's almost like I'm back home," I responded, "When I went outside that day, my mother picked me up, told me to close my eyes and she carried me outside. When I opened them, my father was standing on the wood, but then a gust of wind blew, and, and he fell off the swing."

Simon stifled a laugh, causing a strange sound to come from his mouth. I giggled at his reaction and kept telling the story, "My mother put me down and I instantly ran for the swing. I tried climbing up but I was too short so my father put me on. I tried standing up but my mum told me not to. She then proceeded to scold my father for being so foolish."

Simon's POV

She giggled again, presuming she was thinking of when her father fell off of the swing. It was innocent and cute, putting me at ease. I let out a quiet laugh and pushed the strands of hair out of her face. This moment was only too perfect, Y/N was here with me, sharing happy stories. I wanted to pause this moment in time and stay like this forever. I smiled at the thought.

"But, but after Mother died, Father didn't have time to play with me. He was too busy trying to support us... and trying to find a new wife," she said lowly, scowled at the thought. Y/N had left the happy, smiling girl behind. 

"I was all alone, no brothers or sisters, no friends. I just wanted someone to be with, but Father wouldn't even consider it. Instead, he just bought me new toys, hoping to leave him alone with my demands." she scoffed, and her face fell. She sounded so angry, frustrated and so... lost. Ever since Y/N had told me about her past, her horrible stepmother, how badly she was treated, I felt like I could never compare to her. Ever since my mother died, I never thought anyone could ever have it worse. 

Now I know I was wrong. Y/N had shown me that there are still happy memories to hold on to. The trouble is, I don't think she realises that driving her anger into all those times she was sad and angry, it's making her forget what it's like to have her freedom, feel truly loved by someone.

I felt something moving in my grasp, breaking my train of thought, seeing Y/N starting to tremble, bottom lip quivering. Her beautiful (e/c) eyes started pooling with tears, something I never wanted to see. I didn't know what to do, she was so frustrated and clouded with hatred, I guess finally talking about it broke the dam and it just came flooding out.

Y/N's POV

Talking about the swing, about my mother and father, I couldn't handle all the emotional weight I was carrying. I felt my composure slipping and falling into that state where I feel completely vulnerable. I try to recover but I can't stop what's already started. I feel myself break down entirely, burying myself into Simon's chest. I sniffled, sorting my thoughts, then looked up to him.

"I- I can't take being alone anymore, Simon. If- if your father does choose to send me away, please tell him. Tell him I can't stand being with anyone else. I like staying with you and your family, I don't want to leave. I like staying with you."

I looked into his deep, chocolate eyes, searching for any sign that he would carry out my final request if things didn't turn out. His eyes were filled with emotion, understanding, sympathy, disbelief. The eyes can say so much about a person if you know how to look through them.

"N- no. I'm not doing that," he said firmly. I felt my heartbreak at those stern words. I had just found my best friend. I was taking care of him even with the risk of getting sick. I opened up to him when I had never done that to anyone else. I found a place where I felt I accepted and safe.

"I can't do that because there is no way I'm letting you go," he justified, "After knowing what you went through, there is no way I am letting Father do anything bad to you. In fact, if you go, I'll go with you."

I stared at him shocked. No one has ever made such a proclamation before. If I was forced to go, Simon was giving up everything here, his family, his belongings, anything he may inherit later, to stay with me. I felt my heart beat faster and I blushed. I looked back at Simon, he looked serious, no trace of that mischievous smirk he often wore. He was serious, about leaving everything behind, just to make me happy. 

I smiled, wiping my nose with the edge of my sleeve, "Thanks, Simon. I can always count on you," I sat up a little and snuggled back into his side. 

"Anytime, N/N, always and forever." he reached over me and wiped the last of the tears that stained my face. I looked back at Simon, getting lost in his brown eyes. Then I did something unimaginable. I leaned up and kissed his cheek.

I hear someone coming up the stairs. It sounds like Nanny McPhee because I can hear the third bump on the wooden floorboards. I quickly scrambled out of Simon's bed, thinking to myself, who knows what she would've said if she'd seen that. I looked back at Simon who looked to be blushing furiously, slightly confused. That's when I felt my face grow hot, the realisation of what I did hit me like a tonne of bricks.

"Get up, children. It's time for your medicine," chirped Nanny McPhee.

OMG SERIOUSLY, DEMI?! Why haven't you updated for so long, leaving your readers on a cliff hanger, you little shit?

Hi guys, sorry for the looooong wait. Thank you so much for holding on, I realise I am trash and hopeless at updating. I promise, I'll try to update more frequently, especially because I'm planning on more fluff :D

Feel free to spam me to update, that makes me know you guys want more chapters and that you guys love this book.

I love you all <3 Love, Ally :)