♪jesus christ?♪

Start from the beginning

will came into the apartment later than usual that night. he sighed, wore out physically and mentally from the day he had. he saw blake curled up on the couch, reading a book, "what brings you home so late tonight?"

"kurt's dad is in the hospital."

blake closes her book, in shock, "what happened to burt?"

will crosses the room, joining the seventeen year old on the couch, "he had a heart attack."

"is he okay?"

will nodded slowly, "he's in a coma and they don't know when he's waking up."

blake couldn't help but think about what it would be like to be kurt in this situation, having your father that has always loved and supported him almost gone, forever. "will, do you believe in god?"

"i like to think that there's someone out there watching over us, helping us, keeping us safe," will confirmed, seeing the falter in her expression. "why?"

"because when i was little my mom used to take me to church all the time. she said that it was the only place that she felt safe and loved. i didn't understand why until i got older but i never understood how a god, who is supposed to love you and watch out for you could let bad things happen."

will understood her questions about god, he even asked the same question at different times in his life. he never got the answer, no logical or theological reason ever answered the question. "maybe he needed them to learn a lesson. that he thought they wouldn't understand any other way."

"then what did i do to deserve him?" she cried, thinking about what her father put her through. "he was not a father, he was my personal demon."

the following day, kurt and a few others seemed to be functioning like automatons, not allowing themselves to feel the pain. mr. schue sees his sullen new directions, "hey, guys. our thoughts are all with kurt and i know it's sort of hard to really focus on anything else-"

"mr. schue?" mercedes called for his attention, interrupting him. "i've been struggling, trying to figure out what i wanted to say to kurt all day and i realize i don't want to say it, i want to sing it. this song is about being in a very dark place and turning to god. it's a spiritual song, mr. schue. is that okay?"

"it's fine."

mercedes turned to her classmates, "tina, quinn, can you help me out, please?"