Chapter Six: Not A Date

Start from the beginning

"You know, I was always jealous of how you were smarter than me at every class," He admitted.

"And I still am," she took a sip from her drink.

"Now I know what we have in common," he grinned.

"What? Intelligence?" she asked.

"No, arrogance,"

She tried to hide her smile, but she chuckled which made both of them laugh.

As the night went deeper, the deeper their conversations went. Hermione was surprised by how intriguing Draco can be, she always thought of him as shallow and self-centred. She definitely thought wrong, he was smart, funny and most of all charming, no wonder many girls chase after him. She felt easy around him, and comfortable as she can be, they could talk about anything and never run out of topics that they both didn't realize that they finished 5 rounds of butterbeer.

"Was that your first kiss?" He asked, Hermione almost choked on her drink. Draco meant to taunt her and make a joke out of it, but instead, Hermione took it greatly.

"I thought we wouldn't be talking about it!" She said.

"I was just curious, It seemed like it though " he shrugged.

"You're really stepping on my boundaries, " she glared. "Of course not, I had plenty with Ron."

He didn't say anything for a moment.

"Something happened between you two yet?" Draco asked, more like a teased.

Hermione glared and didn't reply, but Draco already knew the answer.

It was a very sensitive topic, but it was true. Ron and her never really have been intimate, Hermione was afraid, but she didn't know what she was afraid of. She loves Ron more than anything, but she wasn't ready for things like this, she wasn't ready with Ron.

They decided to end the night with a stroll around the village, they walked side by side, the crunches of the leaves satisfied their ears once again, they paused for a moment to admire the calm lake, which reflected the vast moon. They stood, shoulder to shoulder, Draco gazed at Hermione's face which was illuminating in the moonlight, it made her more beautiful than ever. They didn't say anything but they felt each other's warmth. Hermione felt safe being with him, he was gentle.

"Did you really mean what you said?" She turned to face Draco.

"About what?" He asked.

"When you said you like me, " Hermione said, trying to be casual which she managed to do so while waiting for his answer.

"Of course not. You have that red-haired git and I thought it would do me a pleasure. I was just saying those things to get what I want, " He said.
Those words shattered Hermione, of course, he was just using her. She forgot who she was talking to, he might be doing it right now. But she remained firm and showed no sign of weakness, he didn't want to think that Malfoy won.

"How about you? Did you remember what you said?" Draco said with hope in his eyes.

"Just some of it, " She said, "I was too intoxicated, it was clearly the drinks talking."

Draco was most disappointed to hear those words, but he acted as if it was nothing.

"Good, " he said.

They gazed at their surroundings for a moment in silence, "Let's go back, " Hermione uttered.

They began to walk their way into the castle, they were both feeling exhausted, good thing it was Friday, they could get a rest from their school works.
The corridors were empty, as it was already night time and they were probably relaxing in their dorms. There, they stood, both didn't want the night to end, but they knew they had to.

"I should go, " Hermione turned to face Draco.

"Me too, " Draco said, gazing into Hermione's eyes, what Hermione saw was innocence, purity and hope in his stares. Instead of walking away, they just stood there, staring deeply into each other's gazes.
He's hand move towards her face as she put strands of hair behind her ear.

"Don't you remember anything you said that night?" He asked.
She didn't answer, she didn't know what to say or do. Draco was gentle and intimidating at the same time.

His hands interlaced with her's, his eyes were full of hope.
He held her hand and saw the offending scar on her forearm, written mud blood. He felt something in the pit of his stomach, guilt came flooding back. He knew it was his fault, he didn't do anything when his deranged aunt tortured Hermione, one of the main reasons why he hated himself, he was weak and a coward.

"I'm sorry, " he whispered, he held her hand tightly and couldn't let go. It was all he could do, he still regretted the day he didn't save Hermione.

Hermione was stunned, the boy who tormented her for all these years was standing in front of her, he's different now, she swore, a small tear came trickling down his cheek. Hermione thought about all the things he must be going through, it must be awful, being a death-eater at a young age, dealing with his parents and the shame he must have felt.

They felt their faces reaching in closer and closer as Hermione longed for his warmth. Draco did have a difficult time, everyone was debating if he was good or not, he didn't know who to trust. Some believed he had changed and some believe he was cruel and twisted as all death-eaters are. But Hermione didn't care, she leaned closer, closing her eyes...
"Want to take off in my dorm?" He interrupted. Those words were like switches like how Hermione shifted into a sweet to an unpleasant mood, her face turned red and her nose flared.

"You arse!" She growled and roughly pushed him away. Hermione couldn't believe it, he seduced her! The date was just a way to take her to bed, she felt like a git.  She hit Draco square in the shoulder as she marched away angrily, leaving Draco all the in the torch-lit corridor. Her pace was now faster, making sure she was far away from his breath, she wouldn't dare look at him.

"It was a joke!" He called out from behind her. But Hermione didn't listen, just was drowned with rage as she just continued to walk furiously back into her common room.

In the headmistress's office, Professor McGonagall thought it was the most peculiar sight. In her hand was the marauder's map, she didn't know how long she'd been staring at the two footsteps, labeled Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy. She sat at her grand seat, wearing her emerald-green robes while fiddling with her reading spectacles. This could change everything, she smiled.

-

Wow, 275 reads?? Thank you so much!!