Chapter Twelve: The Counter

When I was younger, my grandmother used to tell me that when we looked in the mirror, what was staring back at us was our competition

When I was younger, my grandmother used to tell me that when we looked in the mirror, what was staring back at us was our competition. When I was younger I had no idea what that meant other than a simple, useless saying. Now at the age of twenty-three, I understood it even better as I stared at my own reflection in the dirty square mirror hanging in my bathroom.

The girl staring back at me made me look completely different than what I thought I looked like. Dark circles were underneath my hazel eyes that were puffy from not getting any decent sleep. My black hair was in knots as it cascaded down my back and landed a little bit underneath my shoulders. Covering my cheeks were scrapes from the forest floor after I crashed down on it yesterday and no matter how hard I tried to cover them, you could still see the bruises. The mirror didn't do justice to my baggy, wrinkled shorts and t-shirt.

As I stared at myself, my hands pressed firmly against the edge of the sink, I thought back to that saying from my grandmother. It was absolute bullshit and I wished my grandmother was alive so I could go to her and tell her that. Tell her that the mirror was no competition, it only reminded me how beaten and worthless I felt.

Except, maybe that was the secret meaning behind it. The mirror is competing for your attention and your mind. It's trying to make you think things that aren't true and so far for that past fifteen minutes, the mirror has won against me.

"Stupid mirror" I mumbled as I pushed away from the sink and walked back inside my bedroom. My leg throbbed from even the slightest movement making me hiss in pain.

Though I've been told by Dr. Riley to take it easy, I just couldn't. The idea of sitting still while my mind was racing, drove me insane. I couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried to sit still.

Lowering my body down onto my queen bed, I released a sigh of relief at the feeling of the smooth white comforter against my body. My eyes connected to the tiny, white piece of paper that laid on her nightstand on top of my book City of Bones. Though I couldn't see the words, I knew it was taunting me. I had an itch to open up the note that Gage slipped in my hand but that wasn't an itch I could scratch; or could I?

"Screw it" I exclaimed as I reached forward and grabbed the paper. I unfolded it until Gage's smooth handwriting flashed up at me.

'Incase you ever need me, do not hesitate to call me. Don't forget, everyone needs friends including you, Lara Pierce. -Gage'

I smiled and lightly traced his number. The smooth letters and numbers were shocking considering I've never met a guy that had such neat handwriting. Glancing at the time on my clock, I slowly rose up off the bed.

I promised Gage I would go to the bar in an hour or two and I was closing in on the two hour mark. Though I much rather spend the evening curled up in a ball underneath a blanket with a good book in hand or a television show on, the feeling of being alone made my nerves spike up. The thought of being in the house by myself made me nauseous and I quickly got ready while trying to keep the weight off my leg. Though Dr. Riley told me to rest and stay home, I couldn't do that. It wasn't in my nature to stay seated in one area for a long amount of time or I go stir crazy.