𝟶𝟺

╔═══════════════╗
The Secret
04
Braids
╚═══════════════╝

No Trespassing Keep Out was read on the sign at the junkyard.

"Hey Vern, looks like your mom's been out driving again." Gordie said making Lacey and Chris laugh.

"Haha, that's so funny I forgot to laugh!" Vern said sarcastically as Teddy threw is bag over the fence and proceeded to climb the fence.

"Nice view Lace." Chris said as Lacey climbed the fence in front of him.

"Chris I will literally kick you in the fucking face!" Lacey whispered.

"Feisty! Just how I like em'." Chris said making him and Lacey both laugh. When they got over the fence Teddy started running like he was in the army. "Teddy's crazy."

"Yeah." Gordie said in agreement.

"He won't live to be twenty I bet."

"Remember when you saved him in the tree?" Lacey asked as they continued to walk.

"Yeah. I still have dreams about that ya know, but every time I miss him by a hair and he goes falling down."

"Weird." Gordie said.

"Hey Lacey wanna race?" Chris asked.

"Egh...I don't know." She said with a plan I'm her head.

"Awe come on." The boy pleaded.

"Ugh I don't know.....go!" She yelled as she began to run.

"Oh your a dead woman, Merrill!" He yelled following behind her. "It looks like Merrill's got him beat, but oh! What's this? Chamber's is catching up to her. Chambers is at the tape! And the crowd goes wild!" Chris said cheerfully as they all began to fin a good and comfortable place to sit.

• • •

"Hey have you guys been watching the Mickey Mouse Club lately?" Teddy asked the group.

"Yeah." The three other boys said.

"Yeah well I think Annette's tits are getting bigger." Teddy said making Lacey roll her eyes.

"Think so?" Chris asked making Lacey's body fill with jealousy and rage.

"Yeah I think so."

"You boys are disgusting." Lacey mumbled loud enough for only Chris to hear. Upon hearing this Chris intertwined his and Lacey's hands together.

"You know you love us though." Chris whispered into her ear making her smile and nod at him.

"Ya know I think he's right. I've been noticing the A and the E are beginning to bend around the sides." Gordie said laughing.

"Annette's tits are great!"

"Ya know who else's tits are great." Teddy said making all the boys look over at Lacey.

"Oh screw off Teddy!" Lacey said laughing and giving Teddy the middle finger. All though Lacey took it as a joke Chris saw it as a threat of Teddy trying to take her away from him.

"Why Lacey, how big are they now?" Teddy questioned making Lacey laugh even more.

"36-C bitch." She said making Teddy, Vern, and Gordie laugh. Chris on the other hand didn't think it was funny. He didn't like knowing other people liked Lacey and that thought scared him.

"This is a really good time you guys." Vern said.

"The most." Chris snarled with a little bit of attitude in his tone. Lacey could tell he was angry and squeezed his hand some more.

"A blast." Teddy said as he threw a pebble into the can they had in front of them. In one split seconds Teddy to a sip of water and pot it at Vern making all the teens laugh.

"Oh great! Spit at the fat kid, true good!" He paused and wiped the water off his face. "Hey Gordie, what time is it?"

"Ugh.....it's quarter after one." Gordie replied.

"We better go get the food. The junkyard opens at three. Chopper will be here." Vern said in a worried tone.

"Ooh sic balls." Chris said laughing.

"You go. You can pick us up on the way back." Teddy said to Vern.

"Im not going alone. We should all go." The scared boy said.

"I'm staying right here man." Teddy said laughing to himself.

"The odd man, I'm not going." Lacey said sternly.

"Girls call it. We'll flip for it." Chris said as they all flipped their coins. When they all flipped they all landed on tails.

"Four tails! Oh Jesus, man, that's a goocher." When Vern said that they all started groaning over his stupidity. "No man, a goocher. That's really bad. You remember when Clint Bracken and those guys got wiped out on Weed Hill in Durham? Billy told me they were flipping for beers. An' they came up a goocher just before they got into the car. And bang! They all got totalled! I don't like this. Sincerely."

" Verno! Nobody believes in that crap about moons and goochers! It's babystuff! Now come on. Flip again." Teddy paused while the rest of the teens flipped to wait for Vern. "You gonna flip or not!"

"Come on Vern we don't got all damn day." Lacey said. Finally Vern flipped and they all were able to revile their coin.

"You lose, Gordie! Gordie loses! Oh Gordie just screw the pooch!" Teddy said laughing.

"Does the word "retarded" mean anything to you?"

"Gordie, go get the provisions you morphradite!" Teddy said laughing at Gordie.

"Don't call me any of your mothers pet names!" Gordie spat back at Teddy.

"What a wet end you are, Lachance."

"Oh shut up!" Gordie yelled as he began walking.

"I don't shut up, I grow up, and when I look at you I throw up!" The rest of the teenagers all yelled.

"Yea and then your mother comes around the corner and she licks it up." Gordie yells finally as he walks away.

• • •

While Gordie was getting the food the rest of the teens sat in the shade to hide away from the sun. Lacey was sitting in between Chris' legs with her back against his chest. While he was braiding little strands I'd her blonde hair she took out a cigarette from the pack she had stolen from her brother.

"Give me a Winston." Chris demanded as Lacey pulled one out for him. She put the cigarette in his mouth and lit it for him. "Thanks Lace."

"No problem." She said as she exhaled the smoke from her mouth.

"You didn't tell me you had a pack."

"Stole em' off my dickhead brother." She said taking a hit of hit as Chris continued to braid her hair with his stick of tobacco hanging out of his mouth.

"He'll beat the shit out of you if he finds out you took them."

"Not before I beat the shit out of him." She paused. "You saw what happen when he took Denny's hat from Gordie."

"Yeah what happened with that." The boy asked.

"I don't know? Something inside of me just went psycho. I just saw him take Denny's hat and freaked." Lacey said not even knowing why she did what she did.

"How did you learn how to braid hair Chris?" Vern asked.

"I don't know. I guess I just got used to braiding Lacey's hair all the time." Chris said as he continued to fiddle with the girls hair.

"You should do mine sometime Chris." Teddy said jokingly.