five.

over a week and a held had now passed since that night, and mike and el have slowly began to move on. of course, certain naughty thoughts still haunted her mind but now it was only before bed or in her dreams even. it was manageable, and that's all she could really ask for.

the group was hanging out in mike's basement, all passing time until they were due home. one thing el had grown incredibly thankful for were their other friends. will, max, lucas and dustin could never stop talking which helped to eliminate any awkward silences that would undoubtedly occur.

"oh, shit! i just remembered!" dustin chirped with his usual lisp just before shoving his hands into the pockets of his jacket. with a dopey grin, he pulled out his right hand to reveal an already-rolled joint. it came as no surprise to his friends as he had already been deemed the 'pothead' of their group. "fuck, yeah!" he swore in a singy voice, already searching his pockets for a lighter.

"you can't light that down here, dustin! mike's mom or dad will smell it," el reminded, sitting on the ground even though there was a perfectly good seat next to will... on that couch.

will raised a finger and reminded, "actually, his parents aren't home. if we open a window and spray, like, a shit-ton of febreze, they'll never know."

max nodded vehemently, "will's right. c'mon, el. you of all people need to relax. both you and mike, actually. ever since all that shit with sophie and mason happened, you guys have been so tense."

the two best friends' eyes both widened and they spared one another a chaste glance from their seats on opposite sides of the lounge area. the auburn-haired girl was right, and they knew it.

el sighed before nodding. "okay, fine. someone open the window, but if karen finds out, i wasn't involved," she stated. karen adored el, and she wasn't about to tarnish one of the only motherly figures she had left's opinion of her for a 90 minute high.

max and dustin erupted in celebrations, and will was already making his way over to the window.

lucas only laughed at them, shaking his head. "i wish i could, but i can't," he informed.

max's smile dropped, "huh? why not, babe?"

"coach has been doing these surprise drug tests for the past two weeks. if i get picked and i don't pass, i'm off the team," he solemnly explained, tapping his fingers against max's shoulders as she leaned into him on the couch.

dustin smirked, seeing an opportunity to insult football (even though he was just bitter that he couldn't ever play it due to his lack of collarbones). "see, this is why you shouldn't have ever tried out for the team. now, look at you. you're friends are living their best lives-"

mike piped in at his lucas' defense, "uh, i'm not sure i would classify getting high in my basement as us living our best lives."

will rolled his eyes at the boring conversation. "if you idiots are going to argue over football then fine, but i want to smoke, so.." he swiftly stole the joint and lighter from the curly-headed boy's clutches and positioned it between his lips.

"now, remember. it's puff, puff, pass, fuckers. that means two hits, and you pass," dustin instructed, his eyes targeting max specifically because he knew she had a tendency of getting greedy.

the ginger removed her boyfriend's arm from around her shoulders and leaned towards will, awaiting her turn.

it didn't take long before the foul smelling blunt reached the crevice of el's middle and index fingers. she inhaled the plant, and almost immediately felt the stiffness in her chest fade. she didn't smoke a lot, (only on rare occasions when dustin would gift the group with some of his delicate product), but she knew the effect weed had on her.