Chapter 8

"The United States have dominated the first half and lead 3-0 at the break with goals from, Morgan, Lavelle and Horan. They could and should be further ahead with the numerous chances they've made. Morgan had a goal ruled out early on for offside but she made sure she was onside when the ball came to her next and made no mistakes with her header that made it 1-0. Lavelle scored from long range on the 20-minute mark and Horan made it three after 34 minutes."

"They should have a lot more goals to their name from that half, let's hope they can get some more this time"

"I do have to comment on the mystery player O'Niel, she's had an exceptional game so far, setting up 2 put of the 3 goals they've scored"

"I think most people have been impressed with her ability to play especially after not being a known player, a lot of people questioned Jill Ellis over this choice but I have to hand it to the United States coach, I think Toni O'Neil is just what this team needs right now"

"Well let's see how she fairs in the second half"

-

"GOAL! The US have their fourth goal of the game in the 50th minute! Another player on the scoresheet, with Mewis smashing the ball into the back of the net from just inside the box as O'Neil, lays it off into her path. The shot took a slight deflection of the defender, but it was still always going in!"

"A superb play by the US and yet again the play was created by O'Neil pressing their defence and causing them to slip up"

"She's definitely going to leave her mark on this tournament, I can tell you that"

-

"GOALLL! It's five! Morgan has her second goal of the game after O'Niel whips a deep freekick into the box and Morgan was in the right place at the right time, slotting the ball home from close range"

"Something must have been said at halftime because I feel like I'm seeing a new team out here, that's 2 goals in 3 minutes!"

"Brilliant play by the US again, they have really stepped up their game this half "

-

"GOAALLL! another US goal, it's 6-0! Mewis once again the goalscorer. This time it comes from some poor marking in the box and the midfield finds space at the back post, firing the ball past the keeper from just a couple of yards out."

"This is insane! Back to back goals in 2 minutes"

"The USA have really come to prove why they are the best in the world"

-

"ANOTHER GOAL! it's 7-0! Four goals in six minutes for the US, what a statement this is to the rest of the competition. Lavelle with her second goal of the game, O'Neil drilled the ball across the box, Morgan leaves it as Lavelle is sprinting into the box and she drills the ball underneath the keeper and into the back of the net"

"Yet again another assist for O'Neil, that is her 4ths assist of the night so far!"

"She seems to be creating the chance left right and centre for her team and they are definitely making use of them"