Chapter 1

I swear to god if that phone doesn't shut up" I mumble to myself as I raise my head from under the covers. I reach for my phone and see there's no Caller ID.

"Hello?" I say groggily into the phone having just woken up.

"Is this still Toni O'Neill?" The woman on the other side of the call asks, I recognise the voice but I can't v bothered speaking to them.

"Yes it is, who am I speaking to?" I ask sitting up more in my bed playing with the other person on the phone.

"Well, that's just rude Toni, after all these years you forget my voice! Anyways I'm calling about the team," She says chuckling as I groan out loud

"Then Jill you should already know what that my answer is going to be, what it is every year, a no," I replied rolling my eyes knowing why Jill is calling me.

"Just give me two seconds Toni, please. A lot has changed since I last called" Jill says sounding a little stressed which certainly piques my curiosity.

"Go on," I say hoping whatever reasoning she has is good enough.

"we've lost a lot of good players to injuries close to the tournament and if we want a chance of winning the world cup again we need you Toni, I don't know the reason why you never accept my call ups but I really need you Toni, I would be calling right now if you weren't my last resort," Jill says almost begging to me down the phone.

"who's available then?" I ask knowing her answer will make my decision a lot easier.

"Alex, Christen, Mal, Sonnet, Lindsey, Moe, Julie, Kelley, Becky, Ali, Rose, Cyrstal, Allie, Abby, Sam, Alyssa, Kristie, Tierna, McDonald, Andi, Casey and hopefully you," Jill says

"So no Llyod, Pinoe, Heath or Solo?" I ask having not heard her mention those names.

"Yeah, Pinoe is out because of her knee injury, Tobin due to ligament damage in her knee, Carli is pregnant, and well you know about Hope," Jill says making me furrow my eyebrows.

"what about Solo?" I ask

"You don't know?" Jill says surprised.

"I don't keep up to date with the team," I say lying slightly since it's only Solo I ignore any news about.

"She got caught stealing from a shop so FIFA had to suspend her. She decided to retire instead" Jill explains. Serves the bitch right.

"Yes," I say finally getting out of my bed

"Yes, what?" Jill says confused.

"Yes, I'll come and play for the team," I say grabbing the suitcase from under my bed and opening it up.

"Really! You're not pulling my leg here are you O'Neill?" Jill asks me sceptically.

"No Jill, I'm not. now, do you want me to come or not," I say to the coach who's still on the phone.

"Yes, I do. I'll book you a flight for first thing tomorrow along with the rest of the girls who are flying in form JFK. You can introduce yourself there or wait till we get to the hotel, I don't mind" Jill tells me

"Got it, Jill, you do realise that you want me to play in the World Cup having not touched a ball in almost a year and have never met a single player on the team?" I ask her now seeing how ridiculous this whole situation is.

"Yes but I know you Toni, and I know the player you are, you don't just forget that kind of talent or skill," Jill says clearly having way too much confidence in my abilities.

"Whatever you say, Jill, just text me the details for the flight and I'll see you tomorrow," I say rooting through my draws for suitable clothing to wear in France.

"Thank you Toni, I owe you big time for this," She says over the phone and I can hear the relief in her voice.

"I'll hold you to that one Ellis," I tell her.

"Oh I know you will, see you soon Toni," Jill says and I say goodbye before putting my phone away and starting at my clothes scattered across the floor.

"Right, France here we come" I sigh out to myself as I pack my suitcase. What have I gotten myself into here?

- - -

"Here's 30, keep the changed mate," I say handing the cab driver his changed and grabbing my suitcase from his trunk.

I pull my hat further down my head and fix my sunglasses on my face, as I head through the airport to the terminal where some of the other girls are getting on at too.

Jill said she couldn't book me a seat in business so I'll be sitting in an economy which doesn't really bother me. I'll be asleep the whole time anyway so what's the point.

I walk through, my case in my hand, as I watch people around me frantically running to their gate or after their children that they can't seem to get under control.

I spot the sign for the private terminal and head that way knowing that others will just think I'm another rich person and not their mystery new player.

I walk in a find an empty seat that just so happens to be opposite some of the girls, I think Rose, Andi and Mal since they all play for the Washington Spirit.

I'm about to put my headphones in when I hear them start talking.

"Who do you think Jill has called up, I mean they have to be a striker since we're missing three, but I don't know any that it could possibly be," Rose says two her mates.

"That's what I thought and Jill said she's called her up before but she didn't accept it, I mean who turns down playing for their country?" Andi says and I try to stifle my laugh finding it hilarious that I'm sitting right here and they have no idea.

"Ugh it's stressing me out to be honest, this is my first major tournament after losing in the Olympics and I have no clue who I'm even playing upfront with!" Mal says groaning. I do feel bad for her, I know all too well the pressures of having people expecting you to be the best.

I decide to not eavesdrop anymore and actually play some music while I wait for our gate to be called and the 7 plus hour plane ride to France.