Courageous Corrie

The book, The Hiding Place, is a gripping non-fiction story based upon a family of Christians who hid despairing Jews during the holocaust.  Corrie Ten Boom, the main character, survived through two wars but fought many more restless personal problems.  Corries’ mom died very young, after she fell into a coma and was paralyzed.   This meant that her sister, Betsie, would leave the watch shop, and start working within the house.  Corrie then had to go downstairs and work in the watch shop with her dad.  This was tough but she managed.  When World War ll started, the family did not know what to do.  After the Ten Booms examined what the Germans were doing, they knew that hiding Jews was the right thing to do.  Corrie Ten Boom is a magnificent merciful human being. 

            While the Ten Booms slyly hid Jews, they did not protect themselves from the invading Nazis.  Even though they connected with other people to hide Jews, the family whispered their secret too much.  However, they did have a code to it a secret, but somehow someone found out and the Ten Booms became the Ten Busteds.  Be selective with trust. 

            Corrie’s life did not have to be so miserable.  If she only   people that she knew with her secret, or kept it to herself, she wouldn’t have been in concentration camps for half her life.  Another way to prove the point is the Jews were never found.  If Corrie would have kept her secret to herself, she probably would have stayed out of the camps.

            If I were in Corrie’s family, before they were taken, I would have been exceptionally frightened.  To have the thought of being encased, brutally tormented, and neglected for the rest of my life is nail biting.   I would have probably run away, because of what could happen.  If I were in Corrie’s, I would pray to god for wisdom, and guidance.

            Finally, Corrie’s actions got her thrown into concentration camps, and made me not want to be a part of her family.  She is an amazing person who did bold things to hide Jews.  She was courageous.  The Hiding Place is a biography with Christian morals that teaches us all a lesson today, about love and the forgiveness of enemies.