The Best Victorian Game...

This piece was one of those 'Who Was The Greatest Victorian?' things and I had a list of 10 people or something .... Enjoy (:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk through town and it feels as if everyone is walking in the opposite direction to me.  I feel like a fish against the tide.  I keep my head down and walk straight into someone.  I jerk back and look up.  A posh-looking man stares at me down his crooked nose.  Apologize Elvira, my mother’s voice snaps harshly.

“Sorry,” I mutter before stalking off, only to walk into someone else.  I jump back and look up, shocked.

“Elvira!” Lexi gasps; I smile at her.

“In the flesh,” I say; Lexi and I move aside and she looks at me.

“Where have you been since…it happened?” Lexi asks; I look down slightly.

“Here and there,” I reply; not really wanting to talk about it.

“Elvira, are you sure you’re ok?” Lexi asks worriedly; I look at her vacantly.

“I’m fine,” I say flatly; Lexi looks doubtful.  To put her mind at ease, I silently take an apple from the stand next to us.  We walk along, munching on the juicy red apple.  We finish it and I drop the core and stretch tiredly.

“Where’ve you been sleeping?” Lexi asks; I glance away.

“Here and there,” I repeat; I start coughing and bend over, bracing my self on my knees as I feel as if I am coughing up my insides.

Lexi stares at me, shocked, as I stand back up, shaking slightly.

“It’s nothing!” I protest against her appalled expression; Lexi says nothing but she hugs me tightly.  The warmth rolls off her and I soak it up, feeling like a small child in their mother’s arms.  Warming me steadily from the inside out.  I hug her back and she pulls away, gasping.

“You’re so cold!” She chokes; I stare at her.  I don’t feel cold; I hug myself and look at Lexi.  She looks back and we start to walk again.

“I’m fine Lexi,” I sigh before she launches herself into a Lexi-styled fit.  I ignore her voice and look around, trying to find a distraction.  I look behind me and a man is walking with the same tired look around his eyes as me.  I smile at him, but he ignores me.  Of course.  I look at Lexi, who is staring at me expectantly.

“Elvira, why is that man staring at you?” She asks; her lips hardly moving.  I frown at her.

“What man?” I reply before I choke on my dry wind that scratches the back of my throat; I double over and cough violently, my back aching.

“Elvira, are you ok?” Lexi cries; my eyes stream as I gasp the foul tasting air in.

“Is she alright?” A smooth voice drifts over my head.

“Who are you?” Lexi snaps icily; I take in a deep breath and my chest rattles.

“I’m Dr Barnardo,” A man murmurs in my ear; I take in a sharp breath and look up, the tears blurring my vision.  A sharp pain fills my chest and I bite on my lip to keep the cry from echoing around the dank, miserable streets.

“Excuse me,” The ‘Dr’ murmurs; I cough again and glare up at him.  “What’s your name?” He asks me slowly and loudly; I glower.

“I’m not a dunce,” I rasp; he looks at me evenly.  “Elvira,” I cough eventually; he nods and helps me stand upright.  I take in a deep breath and hold it in for a moment before gasping it out.