ten.

i jiggle my key into the lock on my apartments door until i heard a click. i turn back to tim who is patiently waiting behind me and smile embarrassingly, "this will not be one of my finer moments." i turn my attention back to the door and roughly kick until it swings open with a loud thud, colliding with the wall. i blow the fallen hair off of my face and sheepishly turn back to tim who is holding in a laugh.

"welcome to my crib!" i say extending my arms out to my very small living room.

"it's nice." tim says looking around. i roll my eyes at him, "hey, sorry but some of us aren't rich like you."

"hey, i'm not the rich one my dad is. it's the deal we have, if i stay out of trouble he'll pay my rent."

i walk over to my closet. "must be nice." i sigh as i crouch down and start digging under my shoes to find my shopping bag.

"hey rose?" tim asks.

i turn my head to see him sitting on my couch with a old picture of my family. i clear my throat and go back to digging in my closet. "yup?" i reply already knowing what he's going to ask.

"is that your brother, the god of gta?" he has humor laced in his voice.

"um-- yeah that's him." i reply simply.

"what's his name?" i look over to tim who's staring at me innocently.

"uhm-- jace." i say trying to look distracted so we can drop the subject.

i turn back to my closet and see my shopping bag hanging up by my jacket. "ugh, there it is!" i grab it and close my closet door.

"can i ask now what we're doing?" tim says as he flops down onto my bed.

i grab a thin t-shirt and stuff it into the shopping bag. "we are going shopping." i say as he huffs. "you do realize i'm not one of your girlfriends right? like shopping doesn't cure my sadness like it does for girls. also, i'm fucking broke."

"yeah, me too." i say extending my hand out for him to get him up.

"okay... so then why are we going shopping?" he asks skeptically.

"ugh, you worry too much. just go with it, trust me." i say as i exit my room hoping he'll follow me. i know he is when i hear a loud thump and sigh. i open the door and let him exit ahead of me, with a smile still on my face despite the huffs that come from his mouth. 

--

when we get to the mall tim's confused face still hasn't budged. we start to stroll throughout the fairly busy mall. "see any stores you wanna go in?" i ask.

tim side eyes me. "uhm- no?"

i roll my eyes. "okay, then we're going to mine then." i start walking into urban outfitters and can practically hear his eyes rolling.

when we get into the store i see tim eyeing a hat. i go over to him and take a closer look at it. "hey, this is cute." i comment.

"yeah-- you see i don't know why you'd take me to the mall to distract me from being sad...cause i see all this stuff i want but can't afford and now i feel even more sad because of it."

i look up at him and roll my eyes, "follow me." i say taking the hat from him as i head to the small sale section in the back of the store. i bend down in the corner and eye around the store seeing if any employees are around. "what are you d--" i pull him down to me. "cover me." i whisper.

"what?" he whispers back. slowly his eyes grow wide finally understanding what i brought him here for. "are you serious?" he whispers harshly. "aren't you on probation? if you get caught you could go back to jail--" i give him a blank look and he shuts up.