"Better not include us." The girl with the pigtails grumbled. She had taken lane two, leaving Jihyo to take lane one and the girl called Yoo Jeongyeon to take number three.

"Who cares! I'm gonna beat you and that's all that matters." Jeongyeon declared, stretching her legs for an emphasis to her point. "I bet my lunch that I'll win."

"Oh, you're on." The pigtail girl smirked.

Jihyo was glad that they were ignoring her. That meant she didn't have to make small talk why they waited for the gun to go off.

"On your marks.... Get set..." There was a slight pause in which Jihyo braced herself for the bang of the gun.

BANG.

Jihyo's legs were already off and running when she heard pigtail girl screech in fright at the noise. She didn't know how far or close the other two girls were and she supposed it didn't matter. She would be getting a first-place heat ribbon anyway. She was the only one in her age group.

She didn't think she ran particularly fast or anything, but the race was over within seconds. Turning back to see where her strange competitors were at, Jihyo was surprised to see Jeongyeon and Nayeon skipping at a leisurely pace hand and hand. The crowd was going crazy by the time the two crossed the finish line.

They collapsed to the floor in giggles as they reached Jihyo. They pulled each other into a hug and then looked up at Jihyo who had most likely been staring at them quite rudely for an extended amount of time.

"Hey! You ran really fast!" Jeongyeon said, untangling herself from the girl with pigtails and standing up. She neglected the other girl's hand, causing her to grumble slightly as she stood up also. "I was secretly betting that you would win."

"I could have won." The pigtail girl frowned. "I was just startled by the gun."

"Yeah whatever." Jeongyeon rolled her eyes and then held out her hand to the stunned Jihyo who could only stare at the two girls.

"My name's Yoo Jeongyeon. I'm sixteen. I haven't seen you around before. Are you a transfer student?" Jihyo took her hand and bowed slightly.

"I'm Park Jihyo. Yes. I started just this year." She mumbled. She could already feel her face turning pink. It was only a matter of time before they started laughing at her.

"Aww she's cute Jeongie." Pigtail girl crooned. "Can we keep her?"

"What the fuck?" Jeongyeon rolled her eyes and jabbed a thumb in her direction. "This crazy person is Im Nayeon. She's seventeen going on three."

"Yah!" Nayeon slapped Jeongyeon's shoulder and then proceeded to pull out her misshapen pigtails, replacing it with a neat ponytail at the base of her skull. She certainly was very pretty without that crazy hair.

"Anyway," She said, glaring at Jeongyeon who looked as if she were about to burst into laughter. "I'm going to adopt you Park Jihyo. You don't have a choice."

"You're creeping her out! Look! She's not saying anything!" Jeongyeon shoved Nayeon to the side and took Jihyo by the hand. "Don't listen to her. Maybe even just ignore her existence. She's not helping anyone by existing."

Nayeon pretended to cry a Jeongyeon led a flabbergasted Jihyo to the stands.

And that's how it began.

***

Now, Jihyo didn't believe in fate, so it must have been a coincidence that life just got a million times better after she became friends with Jeongyeon and was 'adopted' by Nayeon. She didn't feel lonely anymore. She felt loved and accepted. Both of the girls would dote on her in every way possible. Jihyo would never say it out loud, but she loved being the group's official baby.