One

**Readers - if you have read my stories on wattpad, you'll know that I'm a writer who doesn't mind when my errors are pointed out to me. So please, if you noticed a spelling error, a missing word - or an extra word - or anything that jumps out at you as being wrong, point it out to me. I would greatly appreciate your help!

ONE

Annette Baldwin hurried from one desk to the next, collecting articles from the journalists working in her father's newspaper office. Each man glanced up at her, gave her a nod, and returned to typing their next article. Six men worked for her father, and not one of them noticed her swollen red eyes or the tears she couldn't stop from running down her cheeks.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to compose herself before taking the articles that would go in tomorrow's newspaper to her father. Even if the others hadn't noticed her solemn mood, her father would. Then again, if he was busy getting the weekly edition of the Houston Gazette ready for printing, perhaps he wouldn't notice at all.

She wiped her eyes and dried her moist cheeks as she mentally told herself that this was not the end of the world. Discovering her beau didn't love her – as much as he loved her father's money – wasn't the first time, and it wouldn't be the last time. Although she didn't want to admit that she was a spinster, she was nearing her twenty-eighth birthday, so perhaps she shouldn't worry about trying to find a husband. She'd do what her father had done to get over the loss of her mother. Annette would find a career and put her heart and soul into it.

Releasing a breath of frustration, she entered her father's office. Just as she'd expected, he was busy arranging the articles on the front page of tomorrow's issue before sending it to the press.

"Father, I've gathered the articles for the next issue."

Malcolm Baldwin mumbled something and motioned his head toward the desk tray. She placed the papers in the tray and stepped back, watching her father work. The newspaper had always fascinated her, especially seeing her father hard at work. He was still a handsome man, and the silver streaks in his light brown hair only made him look more sophisticated. It was a shame he hadn't remarried after her mother died ten years ago. Then again, he'd been so dedicated to the newspaper – and to his only child – that he probably didn't have time to meet women.

As she turned away from the desk, Peter Fletcher rushed in the room, knocking into her. She stumbled, and he quickly grasped her arm to keep her from falling.

"My apologies, Miss Baldwin."

Peter Fletcher had been her father's assistant for six years. His face was the one she'd seen every day when coming to the newspaper, and one of the last ones she looked at before retiring for bed. Peter spent just as much time at her house as he did at the newspaper office. Six years ago, she wanted to think of him as the brother she never had, but yet he was dedicated to helping her father with the paper and didn't have time to be the big brother.

"There's no need to apologize." She smiled.

The man hurried to the desk and placed his palms down on the layout her father had been piecing together.

"I just discovered," Peter said in a panic, "that the article Cooper had written is not true." He shook his head. "The woman was not accosted while taking the train."

Her father's forehead creased and his gaze narrowed. "That cannot be. Cooper assured me he had interviewed the woman."

Releasing a heavy sigh, Peter pushed his fingers through his thick, black hair. "Cooper had assured me as well, but I just came from the train station. I talked to Mr. Hemsworth himself. There was no attack made to any woman while on the train."