Book 1: Chapter 29

Start from the beginning

“Why?” Amy questions.

“What is it?” River asks confused.

“The eyes are not the windows of the soul. They are the doors. Beware what may enter there.” the Doctor reads.

“Doctor, what did you say?” Amy yells.

“He said don't look at the eyes!” I yell to her through the door.

“No, about images. What did you say about images?” Amy she asks.

“Whatever holds the image of an Angel, is an Angel.” River says through the door.

“Okay, hold this. One, two, three, four.” Amy says and I know she froze it.

The Doctor, River, and I burst in as the monitor turns off and the Doctor unplugs the screen and scans the plug with his sonic.

“I froze it. There was a sort of blip on the tape and I froze it on the blip. It wasn't the image of an Angel any more. That was good, yeah? It was, wasn't it? That was pretty good.” Amy says breathing heavily.

“That was amazing.” River says to Amy.

“River, hug Amy.” the Doctor says as he turns to look at Amy then back at the plug.

“Why?” Amy

“Because I'm busy.” the Doctor tells her and I move over to watch what he is doing.

“I'm fine.” Amy says.

“You're brilliant.” River says making Amy turn to her.

“Thanks. Yeah, I kind of creamed it, didn't I?” Amy says trying to get the Doctor to compliment her.

 “So it was here? That was the Angel?” River says nodding her head as the Doctor puts his sonic in his coat.

 “That was a projection of the Angel. It's reaching out, getting a good look at us. It's no longer dormant.” the Doctor says and there is an explosion outside and rushes to the door then looks back at us. “Okay, now it starts.” he says and rushes outside.

“Coming?” River asks Amy and me.

“Yeah, coming. There's just something in my eye.” Amy says and I bite my lower lip.

“Let’s just go okay, I don’t want to be in here, the excitement is happening outside” I say grabbing Amy’s arm and pulling her out.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

We had climbed down a rope ladder into a very large underground space and when I got to the bottom after the Doctor he grabbed me by the waist and helped me down.

“Thanks, but I can handle getting off a ladder on my own darling, I’m not a porcelain doll.” I tell him kissing his cheek.

 “Do we have a gravity globe?” the Doctor says as he takes out a flashlight.

“Grav globe.” Octavian says and a Cleric hands a globe to the Doctor.

“Where are we? What is this?” Amy says looking around shining her light.

“It's an Aplan Moratorium, sometimes called a Maze of the Dead.” River tells her.

“What's that?” Amy asks.

“Well, if you happen to be a creature of living stone…” The Doctor says and kicks the globe into the air, where it illuminates a vast array of mausoleums and statuary. “The perfect hiding place.”

“I guess this makes it a bit trickier.” Octavian says.

“A bit, yeah.” the Doctor says.

“A stone Angel on the loose amongst stone statues. A lot harder than I'd prayed for.” Octavian says flashing his light on a statue making me flinch and move closer to the Doctor’s side as he takes the hand that wasn’t holding the flashlight and squeezes it lightly.