CHAPTER TWO: MONSTERS IN THE DARK.

MALLORY RELUCTANTLY DRAGGED her tired, aching legs down the stairs the following morning, Cheshire following sleepily

MALLORY RELUCTANTLY DRAGGED her tired, aching legs down the stairs the following morning, Cheshire following sleepily. After the tiring events of the previous night, Mallory had only gotten a few hours of sleep and had woken with a sore throat and running nose due to being outside in the cold for hours. Mallory dreaded the thought of making it through the whole day at school.

She heard her father's voice before she entered the kitchen. He was speaking in a hushed tone once again over the phone, the frustration clear in his tone.

"No-no there's no new sightings- I don't know!" he argued though he quickly shut his mouth when Mallory turned into the kitchen, already dressed for school. He quickly bid the person on the phone goodbye before hanging it up back on the wall. Mallory smiled at him innocently.

"Is everything okay?" she asked sweetly. She still couldn't tell if he knew about her eavesdropping the other night.

"Everything's fine darling," he said dismissively. "Waffles?"

Mallory quickly shook her head. "No, I'm good, I have to be at school early," she explained, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl on the counter before she headed towards the front door. Her dad hurried after her.

"Wait!" he called. "Did you find Will?" he asked and Mallory's heart fell at the reminder. She pursed her lips and shook her head glumly. Andrew sighed and stepped towards his daughter.

"Sweetheart, if you need to talk-" he started.

"I'm fine Dad, I just need to be here for Jonathan and Joyce right now," she interrupted quickly. She hated when he tried to play the concerned Dad. Not that he wasn't concerned and caring, it's just that she used to talk to her mum about those things and now, Violet didn't even listen to her. Andrew was trying his best to step into her role, but it wasn't the same. "I'll see you after school," Mallory said and stepped outside, shutting the door behind her.

When she arrived at Hawkins High School, she started to search for Jonathan, finding him in the art room. Mallory frowned at the sight of her best friend asleep at one of the desks in the empty classroom, his tousled brown hair spread over a journal. Mallory took small, tentative steps forward and looked at the journal, noticing it was stuffed with photos. Trying her best not to wake him, Mallory grabbed the corners of one of the photos and pulled it out slowly.

Mallory smiled down at the photo. It was taken maybe five or six years ago, Mallory was sure she had taken it herself. Will sat in Joyce's lap, laughing uncontrollably and trying to escape his mother's grip as she tickled his sides. Jonathan sat on the couch behind them, laughing at his family's antics. Mallory sighed sadly and placed the photo back on the desk before placing her hand on Jonathon's shoulder and shaking gently. Jonathon woke slowly, yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, sleepyhead," she teased, handing him the photo and he stuffed it back inside the journal. Jonathan smiled sleepily in response. "What's with all the photos?" she asked.