Chapter Twenty Three

Depuis le début

"Stay close," Din's voice is drowned out by the cheering crowd, but she's lucky to be close by him to hear him. 

"Got it," Dessa nods, though he can't see her since his attention is also drawn to the fight in front of them. Didn't need to tell her twice. 

Dessa and Din walk around and are being shoved by the people complaining that they were in the way. Din stops right in front of the stage, where a short, green creature with gray, thinning hair and one giant brown eye sat, laughing. Though, nothing was joyous about this laugh, in fact, it's a bit sinister in her ears. 

"You know this is no place for a child," Gor Koresh says as soon as Dessa and Din take a seat. She assumes that is  his name is from what she remembers Din said to the Twi'lek at the entrance.  

"Wherever I go, he goes," Din says. 

"So I've heard," Gor Koresh chuckles, though his attention isn't fully focused on the conversation, she's noticed. 

"I've been quested to bring him to his kind," Din continues, "If I can locate other Mandalorians, they can help guide me. I'm told you know where to find him." 

"It's uncouth to talk business immediately," Gor Koresh doesn't give him a straight answer, still amused by the crowd, and the two creatures fighting each other. "Just enjoy the entertainment."

Silence from Din, but she catches him turn to stare at both her and the child, and then up at the stage where the commotion was. If she didn't know any better, he's trying to patronize them, Din especially. Dessa presses her lips together in a thin line as she glances over to the brawl ahead of her. She never understood why fights to the death were considered entertainment, even as a little girl.  The child whimpers beside her, and she makes an effort to cover his eyes, but she's certain  he's already to see enough to know the fight wasn't going so well. A strange blue force field from the battle axe causes one of the creatures to fall over on his side, and anxious cheers rise around her at the anticipation. 

"My Gamorrean's not doing well," Gor Koresh shakes his head in disappointment and raises his voice slightly to be heard above the crowd, "Kill him, finish him!" 

The Gamorrean that's still standing raises his axe with all his might. Just as he was about to finish the fallen Gamorrean, the second one rolls over to his other side before he can make the finishing blow, and the axe hits the ground with a scraping noise. The crowd jeers.

"Do you gamble, Mando?" Gor Koresh asks, his raspy voice is surprisingly soft and can still be heard over the commotion.  

"Not when it can be avoided," Din says. 

Dessa raises her eyebrows at his answer, but says nothing. Later. She'll ask him later, when the three of them are safe from ears and eyes watching them. She'd noticed a few people keeping a close eye on them specifically. 

"Well, I'll bet you the information you seek that this Gamorrean's going to die within the next half minute and a half," Gor Koresh chuckles. "And all you have to put up in exchange is your shiny beskar armor." 

Dessa tenses. There's no way in the Galaxy he's going to do that. According to him, the armor is too precious. He can't give it up no matter what. Everyone's just dying to see his face underneath all that armor, aren't they? Can't say she blames them, after all.