Chapter Seven

~*~

~*~

Dessa still hasn't woken up.

He couldn't focus on anything else no matter how hard he tried.  His head kept turning back towards the back door every hour or so, secretly hoping that she'd just walk through. But, he only meets the kid's confused stare every single time.

Without her around, it's just too quiet. He normally hates when people talk too much. But this time?

The silence bothered him.

A button being pressed, and a soft hiss brings him out of his thoughts, and he glances at the empty seat besides him.  The kid's messing with the controls again.

"Don't touch anything," he warns the kid, and it merely tilts its head to look up at him. "I'm just going back to check on her."

He feels a soft tug on his boots, and glances down to find the kid staring back up at him. Oh, what's the point? It's just going to keep on following him around everywhere.

His heart sinks at the sight of her just lying there. She's shivering a bit, and has beads of sweat rolling down her forehead. Fever.

He lifts the cloth that's pressed against her stomach, and exhales sharply. It's getting worse.

The kid whimpers again when its eyes meet Dessa's limp form. It slowly raises its hand up towards her.

"Hey, I told you to quit doing that," he warns the kid, and pushes its hand back down. "You remember what happened last time you did that? You were comatose for days."

The child blows a raspberry at him just as he presses a damp, cool cloth against her forehead. It's not much, but it might  be able to bring her temperature down. He shakes his head, watching as the kid moves closer towards her, climbs on top of the bed and promptly sits beside her. He places the cloth back against her wound so the kid wouldn't see.

"Yeah, I know," he sighs softly. "I'm worried about her too, kid."

It gives him an innocent look before raising its arm again.

"Alright, you just lost your visiting privileges," he scolds the child, picks it up into his arms, and with one last look at Dessa, leaves the holding facility. It whimpers softly as they arrive back in the cockpit, "well, I told you not to use your... power, didn't I? Just sit here."

He places it right in Dessa's seat, and sighs tiredly. It's been a long day. He hasn't slept at all since the fight.

"Quit touching things," he warns.