"Yes," She replied, willing herself not to shrink underneath the malevolent glint in his eyes. "I stole the bread from the Stubaf's kitchen and gave it to her."

"Very well," He spoke, a devilish smile turning up the corners of his mouth. Grabbing her arm roughly, he drug her away from the crowd of prisoners and soldiers, stopping when they had reached a secluded spot behind one of the barracks. Punishments were usually issued in the courtyard - in the presence of as many witnesses as possible. The whole spectacle of it incited fear and obedience. But this ... this was personal.

Shoving her against the hard brick wall, he drew his gun from its holster, pointing it firmly at her. "You know, I could kill you for stealing," He began, reveling in the power he now held over her. "I could shoot you right here," He continued, pressing the barrel of his gun against her forehead.

"Then do it," She bit back defiantly, the words tumbling out before she could stop herself. The satisfied smirk he had worn seconds before morphed into a furious glare as he reared back, the butt of his gun striking her in the temple. Falling to her knees, she brought a hand up, wiping away the blood that had began to trickle from the wound, blinking away the tears that had formed in her eyes before they had a chance to fall.

"Get up," Muller spat contemptuously, grabbing a handful of her hair and hoisting her off the ground. "Turn around," He commanded, gesturing for her to turn her back to him with the barrel of his gun. Slowly, she turned, inhaling sharply, trying to slow the throbbing sensation in her temple and the rapid thumping of her heart in her ears. "Now get on your knees," He continued, the anger in his voice still evident, though she could practically hear the smirk return to his face as she lowered herself back onto the hard ground. "Take off the sweater," He barked. With shaking hands she peeling back the thin, knit fabric. Without warning he grabbed the back of her dress, ripping it, just as he had that night, down to the small of her back.

She gritted her teeth together, an involuntary shiver raking through her entire body despite the balmy, spring air against her exposed skin. She squeezed her eyes shut as she heard the buckle of his belt undo, the sound of leather gliding against the fabric of his trousers sounding off alarms in her head as he slid it out of the loops. Glancing over her shoulder, she watched as he wrapped the belt around his hand until he'd fashioned a makeshift whip. She sucked in a breath as realization hit her ... he was going to beat her. Hugging her arms against her chest, she braced for the worst. 

Smack - she bit her lip, repressing a gasp as the leather struck her exposed skin, sending shooting pains up and down her spine.

Smack - she winced as another sharp pain shot through her. Gritting her teeth, she willed herself not to cry out as silent tears glided down her cheeks, dripping onto the grass beneath her knees.

Smack - his belt hit its mark a third time ... then another - his swings growing more fierce each time until there were hardly any breaks between them.

Her silence was angering him, but if it was the last thing she did, she wouldn't give him the satisfaction of her screams. Digging her nails into the skin of her forearms, she hugged herself tighter, willing the hot tears pouring from her eyes to stop - the pain was blinding, each strike of his belt sending new waves of shock coursing through her entire body. Would she pass out from the pain? Would he stop if she did?

Smack - she gasped as a particularly hard hit made contact with her back. She braced her hands against the brick wall in front of her to keep from collapsing forward, and waited for the next strike. But nothing came. 

"That should teach you not to steal schlampe," Lieutenant Muller slurred at her in German as he laced his belt back through the loops of his uniform. Grabbing her chin ruffly, he pulled her face up to look at him. He wore the same satisfied smirk from before, having enjoyed every second of the pain he had caused her.